NZ Community Shield - Reborn

A place for players in New Zealand to communicate.
Camel

NZ Community Shield - Reborn

Post by Camel » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:32 pm

The greatest FTP competition in NZ is back!!! :party After dying an untimely death due to my former-self going bot and losing all shield data with it (apologies :oops: ), it was only fair that I take the time to resurrect the NZ Community Shield. Similar to the Ranfurly Shield in NZ provincial rugby (pictured), the NZ Community Shield is a unique competition that rewards clubs for being consistently strong at home and developing their home ground into a fortress.

For those unfamiliar, the rules are as follows:
  1. The shield competition is exclusively for clubs based in the NZ leagues, and runs simultaneously with the NZ SOD leagues.
  2. One club at a time is the "defender" of the shield. Every SOD match that the defender plays at home is a shield match, where the shield is put up for grabs against their opponent, known as the "challenger".
  3. If the challenger is victorious, they obtain the shield and become the new defender. If the defender is victorious or the match ends in a tie, the defender retains the shield until it is put on the line again at their next home match.
  4. Clubs are awarded a point for both a successful challenge and a successful defense.
  5. A shield challenge cannot take place in any other competition or match type, including MKMC matches.
  6. If the shield defender is promoted or relegated at the end of the season, the shield moves with them into the new division. This is intended to give teams in lower divisions the occasional chance to play for the shield.
Beginning with the first ever non-bot winner of NZ SOD Div 1.1. in season 3, I have trawled through all the matches played in every season since and developed a complete shield history. This time, points and successful defenses have also been tallied to give an all-time shield leaderboard. All shield data will be managed and updated in the spreadsheet below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ue&sd=true

Current Shield Defender:
Kaiapoi Bogans (Dazz)

Next Shield Challenge:
28 Mar 2024
Kaiapoi Bogans vs The Mylindial Squad match 6719119
Last edited by Camel on Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:29 am, edited 18 times in total.

Camel

Re: NZ Community Shield - Reborn

Post by Camel » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:34 pm

Some interesting facts and stats about the shield:
  • A total of 38 different clubs have held the shield at some point, however only 28 clubs have ever successfully defended the shield.
  • Ayatollah of Rockenrollah is the most successful club in shield history, with a total of 43 shield points. However, looking exclusively at successful shield defenses, Realism Ravens is head and shoulders above the rest, with 29 successful defenses.
  • The longest successful shield streak is 11 defenses by wheelbarrow in Season 8-9, although this did include an entire season in Div 2. The longest streak exclusively in Div 1 belongs to kuranui in Season 42-43, with 9 successful defenses. High Voltage is currently threatening these records, with an unbeaten run of 8 defenses.
  • The shield has had two stints in Div 2, once in Season 9, and once in Seasons 25-26. On both occasions taken down by wheelbarrow.
  • The most successful shield challenges in a season was 8 in Season 36, with the shield shared between 7 of the 8 clubs in Div 1 that season.
Last edited by Camel on Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:41 am

Great work Camel :thumbsup

Look forward to it this season as our Div 1 is stacked!!
Herosnzeros Titles: T20: S35
Crazy Horses Titles: YOD: S29. Pavilion cup S39
NZ U19s NM S26-29 AM 24-25. Scottish NM 33-34 37-, AM 30-32 35-36

tungsten

Post by tungsten » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:41 am

I have sadly never held the shield.
Main Dreamers and affiliate Direwolves
3X MKMC winner, NZ SOD WC winner

Camel

Post by Camel » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:49 am

Am I missing something? Dreamers has held it a couple of times in S36.

tungsten

Post by tungsten » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:04 am

Oh, I wasn’t aware lol, nice to know.

jonooo

Post by jonooo » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:35 pm

Awesome work Camel, look forward to defending the shield!

Home games just became a lot more important for me
S36 U19 NZ NAT Manager | S37-44 Senior NZ NAT Manager | S39 Senior OD World Cup Winner

DanielVettoriSpin

Post by DanielVettoriSpin » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:58 pm

Wow. A trophy the mighty Cheesecake have held. Who knew?

starris

Post by starris » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:00 pm

Something to aspire to if I'm not broke!
The Slack Caps Image Season: 36-42 Division 1.1 Youth Champions
The Lynch Ninjas Image Season: 36-38, 43-46 Division 1.1 Youth Champions

Camel

Post by Camel » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:14 am

Was looking forward to previewing the first shield match of the season, but sadly jonooo's opposition has gone bot :cry: sad to see offy leave the game, but I guess it is a bonus shield point for jonooo. Stay tuned for the next match-up! :thumbsup

tungsten

Post by tungsten » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:45 pm

He beat me without any real challenge so another easy point

Muff

Post by Muff » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:34 pm

Looks like I am next in the firing line.
Image Realism Ravens - PokeMod Champion & The Quadfather Season 52
Pavilion Cup Champions Season 17
NZ SOD 1.1 Titles x 9 NZ T20 1.1 Titles x 5 NZ YOD 1.1 Titles x 8 NZ YT20 1.1 Titles x 2

Camel

Post by Camel » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:38 pm

Yup, Muff is up for a challenge next week. Have updated everything after jonooo's last couple of wins. Extraordinarily, he is now already up to 5th on the all-time successful defenses scoreboard (8th on all-time shield wins). A victory over Muff would see him equal the all-time longest shield winning streak of 12 wins - crazy stuff :o

I will look to write up a bit of a preview of the next game sometime next week, so stay tuned :thumbsup

Camel

Post by Camel » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:50 am

Match Preview
High Voltage vs Realism Ravens
match 5954103

Big Picture
In the context of Shield matches, this one’s big. A top of the table clash between two heavyweight teams with drastically different stories - a challenger with one of the most successful clubs in NZ history back in Div 1 after a 15 season absence; and a defender who has wasted no time building a reputation as the strongest team in NZ, if not the world.

The return of Realism Ravens to the top of the league after tumbling down the divisions several seasons ago is the feelgood story of the season so far. With a side yet to reach their full potential, there’s plenty more to look forward to for Ravens fans.

High Voltage have swept all before them in recent times, on their way to back to back Div 1 titles and a remarkable period of Shield dominance. Possessing one of the most fearsome squads to ever grace the game, it is hard to bet against them equalling the record for the longest Shield winning streak on Friday.

Legacy vs present; resurgent vs dominant; youth vs experience. This contest is not to be missed.

Team Profile
Realism Ravens
It is extraordinary to think that a team of the Ravens’ pedigree fell as low as Div 4. Many questioned if the club would ever return to their former glory, yet here they are not only back in Div 1, but leading the early running. Meticulous planning has seen Muff build a younger squad stacked with exciting talent. Whilst silverware may be a long shot this season, the likes of Caucaunibuca, Shah, and Chyer have been doing their best to give the team every opportunity. Ravens’ league success so far this season has been primarily built upon the exploits of fearsome fast bowling, but with Friday’s pitch expected to lack pace and bounce, there are questions around their effectiveness against quality opposition away from home. Their clearest road to victory would be for someone to go big with the bat, giving leg spinners Meadows and Thakar some RR pressure to play with.

Here is what Ravens’ manager Muff had to say ahead of the game:
“Jonoos team is at the very top of the FTP at the moment and deservedly so. However that comes with its own pressures. It has Jonooo looking over his shoulder, while simultaneously chasing that elusive Cup title. I can feel the nerves emanating from the High Voltage camp as he checks in on the Ravens camp more and more frequently. With the Ravens at the top of both senior leagues there is an opportunity to send a mild panic through High Voltage. The Ravens are playing with house money this season and are simply looking to rebuild the aura of fear that comes with taking on the Ravens. I look forward to the clash on Friday.”

There is no denying the Ravens come in as underdogs, but without the cup to focus on and the team high on confidence, an upset is a distinct possibility.

High Voltage
Has their ever been a NZ team more feared than this High Voltage side? Since ascending to the top flight in S48, they have swept all before them losing only 3 league matches in that time. However, one of those defeats did come in their last fixture, and balancing the league with tour weeks and a push for an elusive MKMC title is no small challenge for jonooo. It would be foolish to bet against this side though, with no obvious weaknesses anywhere. The only question marks this season is the team’s ability to score big runs against quality opposition. They are yet to bat first in the league this season and have not had to chase a total greater than 184 courtesy of some clinical bowling. Confidence may also have taken a hit after being bowled out in pursuit of just 167 last week. Given the quality of the squad you would back their batting to come good when needed, but they’ll be hoping their bowlers can come good once again.

Here is what High Voltage manager jonooo had to say ahead of the game:
“On the eve of playing the potential record breaking shield defence match, I think it's pretty special that I'm going up against Muff, the manager who currently holds the most total shield defences. I’m looking for the pitch to be nice and dry come game day, and it should bring the spinners into the game. Does that mean I'm scared of Muff's young seam bowling brigade? Maybe or maybe not. Time will tell.”

Victory on Friday would see High Voltage equal the record for the longest Shield winning streak with 11 consecutive defenses. Is too early to suggest this team could go on to build one of the great sporting dynasties?

Pitch/conditions
Currently the pitch is expected to be dry, with three spinners likely to feature for both sides. It is an intriguing pitch choice by jonooo. Pace bowling is arguably the strong suit of both these sides, but this will be negated somewhat by the conditions. Much attention will be on the spinners instead, who will have to adopt the wicket taking roles. Fine and sunny weather is forecast. Batting first and scoring 250+ would be on both team’s wishlist.

Players to watch
Lawrence Meadows
It’s hard to go past the battle between the leading leg spinners in either side. Still yet to turn 26, Meadows has developed into a consistent performer for the Ravens. Whilst he has some terrific bowlers around him, he will be called upon to lead the spin attack in these conditions.

Hud Sam
The leggie has been bossing it for both club and country for several seasons now. In just three league games this season, Sam has been near unplayable, taking 6 wickets at an average of 6 and an economy rate of just 1.95! The only wrist spinner in the High Voltage squad, there will be added pressure on Sam to be the main destroyer.

My pick
Despite the exciting talent in the Realism Ravens side, expect the all-round quality of High Voltage to come up trumps again on their way to a record Shield tenure.

Muff

Post by Muff » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:16 am

Great write up camel :thumbsup
Image Realism Ravens - PokeMod Champion & The Quadfather Season 52
Pavilion Cup Champions Season 17
NZ SOD 1.1 Titles x 9 NZ T20 1.1 Titles x 5 NZ YOD 1.1 Titles x 8 NZ YT20 1.1 Titles x 2