The YP thread

A place for players in Scotland to communicate.
ddraig

Re: The YP thread

Post by ddraig » Thu May 06, 2021 11:02 am

For reference, I've got a less good but similarly distributed player, that I intend to train using that method. Be interesting to see how they compare in a few seasons time, I'd definitely like that prodigy talent instead of my safe hands though ;)

Grasshopper >> Lewis McNamara >> Details
Player Info
16y5w | 24,775 rating | $881 wage (5% discount)

Right hand batsman | Right arm Finger spin

Talents Old Ball Bowler, Safe Hands
Nationality Scotland Scotland
Form reasonable
Fatigue rested
Experience dreadful
Captaincy accomplished
Skills Summary
Batsman ordinary
Bowler poor
Keeper poor
Allrounder poor
Notes

Skills
Batting reasonable Endurance average
Bowling ordinary Technique poor
Keeping poor Power ordinary
Fielding ordinary

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Thu May 06, 2021 11:15 am

Absolute waste trying to make him into a bowler or AR
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet

GarageTM Foundation Member

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Thu May 06, 2021 2:10 pm

I wouldn't say that, all rounders make a massive difference in the seniors, and that guy could definitely train to be a very good all rounder. He wouldn't need as much power training as he would as a pure batsman, and that lack of power would set him back as a batsman in the early seniors. As a spinner it wouldn't matter quite as much, and batting in the mid to tail he'd be able to pick up a few runs.

Horses for courses though.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat May 08, 2021 7:04 am

My advice would be to go batsmen. Going from poor For an AR is crazy. I want atleast average in bowl and one of tech or batting to even think about it.
Just remember that you don’t have to follow the route the talent is. Sometimes they just have to be talentless to make the best of them
Herosnzeros Titles: T20: S35
Crazy Horses Titles: YOD: S29. Pavilion cup S39
NZ U19s NM S26-29 AM 24-25. Scottish NM 33-34 37-, AM 30-32 35-36

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon May 10, 2021 7:06 am

I can't see McNamara in the youth u20s to be honest, he's not really good enough, but I'll see what I can do experience wise. He's going the allrounder route, so I think that might make the decision anyway ;)

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon May 10, 2021 7:16 am

GA-Jim wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:04 am
My advice would be to go batsmen. Going from poor For an AR is crazy. I want atleast average in bowl and one of tech or batting to even think about it.
Just remember that you don’t have to follow the route the talent is. Sometimes they just have to be talentless to make the best of them
This is true, you don't have to follow the route of the talent.

I can't find anyone I've trained from poor to be an allrounder, but I've had a few train from ordinary, and they've been much more useful as senior fillers in their early 20s (and for the youth squad). I'll consider my training from poor as an experiment (McNamara had poor bowling, and dreadful technique, when I started), only time will tell how it turns out ;)

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon May 10, 2021 8:04 am

Klauts wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:33 am
Ok but at the end of the day are you looking at his talent at the expense of his skills? Are you neglecting his ability to be a world class batsman , to be a spectacular bowler?
lol, world class batsman, the only way he'd get to that is if he was trained in just batting and I ignored most of his secondaries.

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Mon May 10, 2021 8:20 am

ddraig wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:04 am
Klauts wrote:
Ok but at the end of the day are you looking at his talent at the expense of his skills? Are you neglecting his ability to be a world class batsman , to be a spectacular bowler?
lol, world class batsman, the only way he'd get to that is if he was trained in just batting and I ignored most of his secondaries.
Are we talking about the prodigy wmchamps posted
He will make WC easy with excep power and field in high level academies
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet

GarageTM Foundation Member

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon May 10, 2021 9:14 am

Klauts wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:13 am
ddraig wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:04 am
Klauts wrote:
Ever heard of summary champ? Never said primary world class.
That's pretty meaningless, and even Bannerman (who you've dissed many times) is a World Class Batsman when his form is higher!

By the way I didn't mention summary either, but I know what you meant and you know what I meant.