Ireland Nat Thread

A place for players in Ireland to communicate.
alsybaba

Ireland Nat Thread

Post by alsybaba » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:42 pm

The thread seems to have gone.....

Decent time to announce that this will be my last tenure leading the team.....we went all the way up but since we have fallen all the way back down time for some fresh blood.

I think I'm the longest current serving manager so for the good of the game, and perhaps Ireland time to go....hope we have some wins and a title to end it all off!

Al

KeepItCool

Re: Ireland Nat Thread

Post by KeepItCool » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:50 pm

Hey Al …good luck with the last season and I hope you stay involved with the Nat side going forward as well …cheers

paulos

Post by paulos » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:37 pm

Thanks to all who voted me in as the new Irish NAT Manager :thumbsup
KennyMac and GKZhukov have agreed to stay on in their assistant roles. There is no doubt that I will be leaning on them over the next 2 seasons.

Unfortunately we start both OD and T20 in Division 3. We can attribute this to some inconsistent performances from our Bats in recent seasons. Hopefully we get some overdue fortune here and maybe a couple of young guns will come through to help us out.

The primary aim for the coming season is simply to promote to Division 2 in both formats.
The secondary aim will be to qualify for the T20 World Cup. This will be tough from Division 3 as 5 wins out of 5 may still not be enough to move us into the top 12 of the rankings.

Thanks again and I am looking forward to this new challenge :D

KeepItCool

Post by KeepItCool » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:35 pm

Good luck!

paulos

Post by paulos » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:25 pm

The squad for our opening tour is below. Just the 2 new faces in wrist spinner Karl Mulcahy and batsman Jake Donaghy.
We probably have the oldest squad in the division, so while we only have 2 debutants there could be a few touring for the last time

Bats and Keepers:

Andrew Aylward (kuranui)
Ciaran Dempsey (Essex Eagles)
Jake Donaghy (Dunedin Devils)
Ben Ennis (Memonites)
Adam Finnegan (Ceylonian Blasters)
Dion King (kuranui)
Matthew Plunkett (Shaktar Senseless)
Anderson Silva (Ceylonian Blasters)
Paul Stirling (Miss Lanka's Pet Lions)

Bowlers:

Jamie Brady (Paul's Spurs)
Daniel Broderick (Aotearoa)
Donnacha Byrne (Team Envyus)
Marcas Kelly (Griffith Gumbies)
Manannán mac Lir (Snickets II CC)
Conor Maturin (Miss Lanka's Pet Lions)
Gavin McKay (Rangers 2nd XI)
Karl Mulcahy (Western Suburbs Hacks)
Callum Murray (Illawarra Dragons CC)

paulos

Post by paulos » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:50 pm

My first tour as manager has just finished and unfortunately it was a disappointing week. We got off to a great start in winning our first 2 matches but lost the final 3.

Our batting has been poor for a number of seasons but we saw some signs of improvement in the opening games, although it was far from perfect. A lot of players got off to a good start and easily reached 20 runs to get settled. However very few continued past 35 runs and Andrew Aylward was the only to reach 50 with a 60 not out in Game 1.

Games 4 & 5 saw good starts with the bat followed by a middle order collapse. Against USA we went from 143/3 to 145/7 in the space of 14 balls.
Against West Indies today we got to 76/2 before losing the next 4 wickets for 13 runs.

The most consistent batting performance came from Ciaran Dempsey who had 4 steady scores between 28 & 47 runs. He has often struggled to get out of single digits for us so this is a vast improvement.

I mentioned in my last post that we had 2 newcomers to the squad. Jake Donaghy was a big disappointment, scoring a total of 23 runs in 4 innings. He will be lucky to get another chance.
The other was wristy Karl Mulcahy who had a decent week. He had 1 poor game but did well when playing on a spin friendly pitch.

Next up is the T20 tour and we will be hoping for a better week

paulos

Post by paulos » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:43 am

We have 6 changes to the squad for the upcoming T20 tour. Ethan O'Reilly, Donal D'Arcy, Dermot Cusack & Dylan Maguire earn recalls having toured previously while this is the first call-up for medium pacer Evan Maher and batsman Conor McLoughlin.

I have high hopes that Conor McLoughlin will become a big player for Ireland. He is high on the run-scoring charts for Ireland NAT youths and has exceptionally high averages at all levels for his club.
I have played him in a few friendlies this season and he has performed well so deserves his chance despite his young age.

Bats and Keepers:

Andrew Aylward (kuranui)
Donal D'Arcy (Tempest)
Conor McLoughlin (Cool Blasters)
Ethan O'Reilly (AllStars!)
Matthew Plunkett (Shaktar Senseless)

Bowlers:

Dermot Cusack (Herosnzeros)
Dylan Maguire (Cool Blasters)
Evan Maher (Go Nigel Go)
Conor Maturin (Miss Lanka's Pet Lions)

KeepItCool

Post by KeepItCool » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:51 pm

Good to see McLoughlin in the mix. I think he was the first (or among the first few) players I pulled after I upgraded my youth academy. His senior numbers may be a bit inflated by beating up on bot teams when he was a youth player and I was trying to build experience …but been very dependable even in serious games against evenly matched opponents.

paulos

Post by paulos » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:54 am

The T20 tour has just finished. It was an improvement on the previous tour with 3 wins out of 5 but unfortunately we narrowly missed out on promotion on NRR

We started poorly with defeats in our opening 2 games and were staring defeat in the face again in game 3. We conceded 193 runs versus Zimbabwe but that triggered a turnaround in our week. Ethan O'Reilly and Paul Stirling put together a 3rd wicket partnership of 121 runs and we chased down the total with 9 balls to spare.
By my reckoning that is Ireland's 2nd highest successful T20 chase and it was good to see us perform well with the bat for a change.

We followed that up with good wins over Pakistan and Canada to complete the tour.

It was a collective effort from the team rather than us relying on 1 or 2 individuals to carry us. However there are a few worthy mentions.
Ethan O'Reilly top-scored with the bat with 119 runs across his 3 innings. Matthew Plunkett was only out once in his 3 innings which gave him a healthy average of 63
Dylan Maguire and Donnacha Byrne were the top wicket takers with 7 each from 4 games

KeepItCool

Post by KeepItCool » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:54 am

Tough luck on the non promotion ….good to see youngsters stepping up …especially when they are my players 😀

paulos

Post by paulos » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:41 pm

Our final tour of the season starts on Monday. There are just 3 changes to the squad.

We have spin friendly pitches so wristy Dylan Scott comes in for his debut and Daniel Broderick earns a recall. The only batting change is a first callup for Ethan Egan

Bats and Keepers:

Andrew Aylward (kuranui)
Ethan Egan (Ceylonian Blasters)
Conor McLoughlin (Cool Blasters)
Ethan O'Reilly (AllStars!)
Matthew Plunkett (Revolution)

Bowlers:

Daniel Broderick (Aotearoa)
Dermot Cusack (Herosnzeros)
Dylan Maguire (Cool Blasters)
Dylan Scott (Rebel Spinners)

paulos

Post by paulos » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:50 am

I am happy to report that this week's tour was a success and we have earned promotion to division 2 :party

We had 4 wins over UAE, USA, India and Pakistan and that gave us 2nd place. India pipped us on NRR for the division title

At an individual level most of our players made important contributions during the week. Gavin McKay had a 5fer in Game 1 while Dermot Cusack, Manannán mac Lir and Jamie Brady took 4 wickets in the other 3 victories.
7 of our 9 bats hit at least one 40+ score over the week although most of them struggled to contribute a second big score. The exception was our star bat of the week, Ethan O'Reilly. He carried his bat for 101 runs in game 4 versus India and followed that up with another 49 today against Pakistan :clap

It was a mixed bag for our 2 debutants. Ethan Egan could only average 9.75 runs for the week but Dylan Scott fared better with 6 wickets in his 3 matches.

This was a crucial week for us as anything less would have made qualification for the next OD World Cup very difficult. Hopefully we can now build on this and do even better next season

KeepItCool

Post by KeepItCool » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:39 pm

Awesome!