Quick Questions V4

New to the game? This is the forum for you. In this forum there is no such thing as a silly question :), although please make sure to browse through the game manual before posting.
GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Re: Quick Questions V4

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:12 am

compo is tomorrow and it goes to his current team at the time of payment
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet

GarageTM Foundation Member

casperj

Post by casperj » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:34 am

GM-crowfan65 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:12 am
compo is tomorrow and it goes to his current team at the time of payment
Thanks for the quick response.

ASHB

Post by ASHB » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:47 am

Hi,
New manager here. Have gathered some intel, but looking for more opinions.

Aiming to tweak the starting squad to have the smallest senior squad that is competitive immediately, and creating a great youth academy. I have bumped up my youth academy level twice so far. My questions are:

1. If I’m looking to have a lean (ie:12 players) senior squad, (with rotations in from juniors to help manage fatigue) what kind of base skill level should I be looking at for my senior players to be a competitive top four team? Accomplished?

2. If youth initially is my focus so I can bring through home grown talent in the next 5 seasons, how big should my youth squad be?

3. How important is wicketkeeping skill? And in reference to question one, what skill should I look for in my senior keeper at this stage.

4. Wages. As a newbie with the above strategy, what wage ceilings should I be looking at for my finances to be stable.

5. What have I maybe missed in my thinking?

Any other advice welcome.

casperj

Post by casperj » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:22 am

ASHB wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:47 am
Hi,

Aiming to tweak the starting squad to have the smallest senior squad that is competitive immediately, and creating a great youth academy. I have bumped up my youth academy level twice so far. My questions are:

1. If I’m looking to have a lean (ie:12 players) senior squad, (with rotations in from juniors to help manage fatigue) what kind of base skill level should I be looking at for my senior players to be a competitive top four team? Accomplished?

2. If youth initially is my focus so I can bring through home grown talent in the next 5 seasons, how big should my youth squad be?

3. How important is wicketkeeping skill? And in reference to question one, what skill should I look for in my senior keeper at this stage.

4. Wages. As a newbie with the above strategy, what wage ceilings should I be looking at for my finances to be stable.

1. Depends on what senior leagues you are in. If you check the average wages of the senior players in the other squads in your league, you should be able to identify roughly what skill level they are at. Ideally you want to be winning most matches so aim for a skill level at least a little bit above the other teams.
To be honest the Transfer Market is really dead at the moment. You can pick up Expert level 21 year olds for next to nothing, so I don't see any need to drop below that level. Players skill starts to deterioriate once they get to 30, so if you want a senior player to have a decent shelf life, bear that in mind. You can pick up Outstanding level 25/26 for pretty much nothing on the transfer market.
2. The max is now 25 I think. However there isn't much point having players that aren't getting regular game time in the youth matches. Once a player gets past 18 he should really be starting in at least some youth matches, so I'd say you only need 12 players between age 18-21, and then maybe 6 or 7 under 18's who you are training to be ready to replace the older youth players when they turn 21.
3. My understanding is that it's only relevant for the wicket keeper position. I think most people try to keep it level with the batting skill on a wicket-keeper. Also remeber that fielding is pretty important on a wicket-keeper too, although probably doesn't have to be as high as on other outfield players.
4. Purely depends on your income. If you are boosting up your youth academy that can get quite expensive as you get to the higher levels. Just keep an eye on your weekly turnover [bearing in mind how many home games you had each week] and try not to run at too much of a loss. If you can get promoted in senior leagues that is important as that will increase your income via weekly sponsorship + higher home attendences.
5. Don't solely rely on your youth academy to produce good youth players. The frequency of good youth pulls is very variable (My affiliate team has a Superior Academy and I have had 1 good player in the last 20 weeks!). Sometimes you'll get a few in quick succeession, but inveitably you'll need to supplement any good pulls you get with buying good young youth players off the Transfer Market [also you can't control very well the type of good players that come throught the academy - I've 3 good right-arm finger spinners in my squad, but haven't pulled a decent wrist spinner and don't want to keep selecting 'spinner' as the youth pull and clogging up my squad with even more right arm finger spinners!] With the transfer market you can of course select the type of player you want to buy.

Gratus

Post by Gratus » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:09 am

casperj wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:22 am
ASHB wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:47 am
Hi,

1. Depends on what senior leagues you are in. If you check the average wages of the senior players in the other squads in your league, you should be able to identify roughly what skill level they are at. Ideally you want to be winning most matches so aim for a skill level at least a little bit above the other teams.
To be honest the Transfer Market is really dead at the moment. You can pick up Expert level 21 year olds for next to nothing, so I don't see any need to drop below that level. Players skill starts to deterioriate once they get to 30, so if you want a senior player to have a decent shelf life, bear that in mind. You can pick up Outstanding level 25/26 for pretty much nothing on the transfer market.
2. The max is now 25 I think. However there isn't much point having players that aren't getting regular game time in the youth matches. Once a player gets past 18 he should really be starting in at least some youth matches, so I'd say you only need 12 players between age 18-21, and then maybe 6 or 7 under 18's who you are training to be ready to replace the older youth players when they turn 21.
3. My understanding is that it's only relevant for the wicket keeper position. I think most people try to keep it level with the batting skill on a wicket-keeper. Also remeber that fielding is pretty important on a wicket-keeper too, although probably doesn't have to be as high as on other outfield players.
4. Purely depends on your income. If you are boosting up your youth academy that can get quite expensive as you get to the higher levels. Just keep an eye on your weekly turnover [bearing in mind how many home games you had each week] and try not to run at too much of a loss. If you can get promoted in senior leagues that is important as that will increase your income via weekly sponsorship + higher home attendences.
5. Don't solely rely on your youth academy to produce good youth players. The frequency of good youth pulls is very variable (My affiliate team has a Superior Academy and I have had 1 good player in the last 20 weeks!). Sometimes you'll get a few in quick succeession, but inveitably you'll need to supplement any good pulls you get with buying good young youth players off the Transfer Market [also you can't control very well the type of good players that come throught the academy - I've 3 good right-arm finger spinners in my squad, but haven't pulled a decent wrist spinner and don't want to keep selecting 'spinner' as the youth pull and clogging up my squad with even more right arm finger spinners!] With the transfer market you can of course select the type of player you want to buy.
Agree on the first point. Just make sure that you don't go overboard on wages. For the initial 4 weeks you get 50000 extra sponsorship. So keep that in mind that when you calculate your wage affordability and make sure that your total wage bill does not exceed your sponsorship.
Some additional points for your senior team:
1. Ensure that you pick players with good experience. At least reasonable at 21.
2. Fielding should be at least reliable at time of purchase but preferably expert or more.
3. Focus training efforts on secondaries(i.e fielding, strength and fitness). Don't ignore fitness. For bowlers I target endurance to a level such that the bowler is able to bowl his entire 10 overs(split equally before and after drinks) without getting tired.

ASHB

Post by ASHB » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:20 am

Thanks for the responses so far! Another question…

Academy development and strategy. I have read there are some different ways to focus your club development in regard to academiy focus/investment. What are the cases for and against the three strategies below…

1. Youth focussed. Spend to upgrade the youth academy and not the senior.
2. Senior focussed. Spend to upgrade the senior academy and not the junior.
3. Balanced. Develop both academies equally.

casperj

Post by casperj » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:31 pm

ASHB wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:20 am
Thanks for the responses so far! Another question…

Academy development and strategy. I have read there are some different ways to focus your club development in regard to academiy focus/investment. What are the cases for and against the three strategies below…

1. Youth focussed. Spend to upgrade the youth academy and not the senior.
2. Senior focussed. Spend to upgrade the senior academy and not the junior.
3. Balanced. Develop both academies equally.
It's just been announced (Game DIscussion topic - 'Financial Change 2 - Academy') that the distinction between the youth and senior academies is being removed, so 'balanced' will effectively be the only option available from the season after next.

Bourbonpoker

Post by Bourbonpoker » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:35 pm

Just built a senior squad 2 weeks into FTP. In Eng div 5.

Thoughts? Hoping to promote in first season.

https://www.fromthepavilion.org/seniors.htm?teamId=5858

Will work on the youths next.

Thanks

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:19 pm

Looks like a good squad capable of achieving good results for a few seasons and promotions.
Remember to plan ahead each seasons end for increased wages and to increase your grounds when attendances increase.
Small squads can have a bit of trouble managing fatigue at the start of the season with the cup added in. If you keep a good eye on fatigue and rotate the batting and bowling order you may get by without buying in a temporary or new squad member.
South Africa U19 Manager seasons 38-41.
Boscorp Cross season 14 - current

Bourbonpoker

Post by Bourbonpoker » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:33 pm

:thumbsup

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:21 am

Important and yes
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet

GarageTM Foundation Member

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:12 am

2005ashes wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:46 pm
Just curious how important is fielding to wicket-keepers?

For example would an outstanding keeper with expert fielding be better than a world class keeper with average fielding?
I do recall reading that the importance of fielding overall is increased in higher rated matches. Still, I'd go for the outs/expert also. WC/reliable and I'd be thinking more.
South Africa U19 Manager seasons 38-41.
Boscorp Cross season 14 - current

dwapar

Post by dwapar » Mon May 02, 2022 5:04 am

How much WK need fielding in respect of his WK skills ?? 50 percent or 60 percent ?