Open Forum (Ask GMs)

General gameplay questions can be posted here.
Bustergut

Re: Open Forum (Ask GMs)

Post by Bustergut » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:24 am

Has the percentage of "shock results", say Match Rating difference > 10%, increased in the past few seasons?
Season 11 u19 World Cup Winner
Seasons 22, 47 & 55 Windies Double Winners

Seasons 46, 47 & 49 Irish Double Winners

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:06 am

not up until the end of last season, i havent done this season yet

not counting tied games

57% up to 5% diff
71% up to 10% diff
82% up to 15% diff
90%
95%
99% beyond 25%
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet

GarageTM Foundation Member

MOD-quirkilyalive
MOD

Post by MOD-quirkilyalive » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:01 pm

GM-crowfan65 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:06 am

not counting tied games

57% up to 5% diff
71% up to 10% diff
82% up to 15% diff
90%
95%
99% beyond 25%
is this just for senior club sod's?
United XI|Blobs of Metal|West Indies NAT Manager
Becoming more irritating, post by post

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:16 pm

Wouldnt you be better off comparing sub categories rather than total match ratings? Similar to when you look at a players ratings and see how much is in spares. For instance having 5 allrounders with lower bowling primaries can return a much higher total ratings than 5 skilled bowlers with less batting.
It may be good having the high rating overall but still not be as effective as a winning side.
Fantasy points are totally different but maybe they are a better reflection how the match plays out than total match ratings?
South Africa U19 Manager seasons 38-41.
Boscorp Cross season 14 - current

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:58 am

MOD-quirkilyalive wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:01 pm
GM-crowfan65 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:06 am

not counting tied games

57% up to 5% diff
71% up to 10% diff
82% up to 15% diff
90%
95%
99% beyond 25%
is this just for senior club sod's?
All, the breakdown per match type is very similar

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:02 am

boscorp wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:16 pm
Wouldnt you be better off comparing sub categories rather than total match ratings? Similar to when you look at a players ratings and see how much is in spares. For instance having 5 allrounders with lower bowling primaries can return a much higher total ratings than 5 skilled bowlers with less batting.
It may be good having the high rating overall but still not be as effective as a winning side.
Fantasy points are totally different but maybe they are a better reflection how the match plays out than total match ratings?
over the number of games it looks at its still a fair indication of results.

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:40 am

Is a bowlers wicket taking opportunities limited by the bowler type on certain pitches? Or is it their skill that determines the number of opportunities?

Bustergut

Post by Bustergut » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:54 pm

How much does fielding affect a Keeper's performance? Is it applied as the only attribute to keeper catches/runouts/stumpings or is the general keeping summary used?

When fielding catches are assigned, is the check based upon the selected fielder or by the team's fielding overall?
Season 11 u19 World Cup Winner
Seasons 22, 47 & 55 Windies Double Winners

Seasons 46, 47 & 49 Irish Double Winners

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:12 am

boscorp wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:40 am
Is a bowlers wicket taking opportunities limited by the bowler type on certain pitches? Or is it their skill that determines the number of opportunities?
skill, bowler type, conditions, state of the game are some of the inputs that go into a wicket chance

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:14 am

Bustergut wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:54 pm
How much does fielding affect a Keeper's performance? Is it applied as the only attribute to keeper catches/runouts/stumpings or is the general keeping summary used?

When fielding catches are assigned, is the check based upon the selected fielder or by the team's fielding overall?
Summary is used for most things that I can tell

fielding checks are based on fielder but check agst the passmark which is a combination of both teams fielding and overall rtgs

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:31 am

GM-crowfan65 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:14 am
Bustergut wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:54 pm

Summary is used for most things that I can tell

fielding checks are based on fielder but check agst the passmark which is a combination of both teams fielding and overall rtgs
Wouldn't a keeper with lower fielding assist in lowering the pass mark in a fielding check? Enabling your fielder a slightly better chance of taking the catch?

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:54 am

it would but it is % of the avg MR of both sides excluding fielding

AttyAttwood

Post by AttyAttwood » Tue May 23, 2023 2:33 am

Just wondering how people find the Jump from Division 3 to 2 in strong countries?

I've had a few cracks at it and been relegated the following season every time.
My ODI team are hardly pushovers, sitting second last but picking up 4 wins. Just finding it very challenging to stay up for long enough for the boost in income to filter into the Academy and squad strength.

It's a struggle to stay in a good financial position when having to buy a few mercenaries to compete.

Open to suggestions.

https://www.fromthepavilion.org/club.htm?teamId=4285#

Squad is all visible for anyone who is willing to give an opinion.

ukrooster

Post by ukrooster » Tue May 23, 2023 4:08 am

AttyAttwood wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:33 am
Just wondering how people find the Jump from Division 3 to 2 in strong countries?

My ODI team are hardly pushovers, sitting second last but picking up 4 wins. Just finding it very challenging to stay up for long enough for the boost in income to filter into the Academy and squad strength.

It's a struggle to stay in a good financial position when having to buy a few mercenaries to compete.

Open to suggestions.

I agree, it's really difficult. I'm in a similar position to you. In Div 3, trying for Div 2. My affiliates has the better senior team than my main team, rates around 230-240 on a good day, and is doing fairly well (Almost promoting), I think I have a good alround team, with some good players coming through, suitable for different pitches and has been funded by selling my former half decent youth team, for which I only carry 15 players, and will still look to off load some of the last decent youth I have. Without that funding I would've been bankrupt, it's fairly simple. I'm still on the edge of poor finances. Not sure what else I can do. I have reduced the academy again and again. It really is a hard slog for those in the middle divisions. If I can get one promotion in T20, that will be an achievement and can focus again next season, if I'm not too bankrupt.

My main team, still youth focused but I have about 17 senior players now, rating around 180-200 and this season in Division 3 and stinking it up, just above the relegation line. I need a better team to promote, but I'm moving my good youth into the senior team, almost there, this method takes longer. So I'm struggling with finances with this team too and looking forward to the end of the season youth win comp bonuses to help me navigate poor finances next season. I'm also considering selling my good youth. I have about 3-4 players left that I may want to promote into the senior team and then I will give up on the youth endeavour and use selling youth process to finance a proper crack at the seniors. I may have to reduce academy once youth team has been pillaged.

So... I would say, you probably need a team that is adept in most conditions, with good tactics. Unfortunately, you probably need to reduce your academy again in the short term, you need to reduce your youth team a little and look to sell your best youth at the best time, to raise enough funds to find some senior gems on the transfer market.

Separately, it's a shame that we have to choose one way of playing over the other through fear of bankruptcy.

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Tue May 23, 2023 5:32 am

AttyAttwood wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:33 am

Open to suggestions.

It might help to reduce your senior squad to 17 for a season or 2 and increase your stadium seeing as it sells out. Your almost there, you have a decent side and just need an even break to promote. I struggled in a similar way for many seasons also.