Open Forum (Ask GMs)

General gameplay questions can be posted here.
GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Re: Open Forum (Ask GMs)

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:02 am

Cyrus wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:35 pm

Had 8 bowlers and 3 keepers go up in form 0 pure bats from my sides
Our Nat squad 8 bowlers 1 bat
I still maintain it’s easier for bowlers
And you can but the tbl in the db tells me differently
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet

GarageTM Foundation Member

TM-Cyrus
MOD

Post by TM-Cyrus » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:49 am

PepsAngels wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:41 am
Out of curiosity, do you play on more bowler friendly pitches Cyrus? And do you tend to bowl first?

I am seeing similar results in my club - 7/9 players who have increased in form are bowlers, but I think it's largely due to the reasons above.
Depending on weather hot or humid I try to bat first, flat or hard the same and most T20’s I try to bat first
This season with my main T20 I’ve won the toss and batted on cloudy crumbling lost the toss and bowled on a windy crumbling and won both of those
Won the toss and batted on a slow sunny and lost
SOD lost the toss and bowled on a windy crumbling and won, won the toss and bowled on a cloudy green and won, lost the toss and batted on a hot crumbling and loss.

So it’s a bit off everything there and 5 bowlers and a keeper have gone up in form, no bats.
I understand what the data is telling you Crowie but I’d love to see the breakdown by divisions my money would be on more bowlers than bats as the divisions get to the pointy end,

That just my thoughts I think as the skill levels rise the game becomes more bowler dependent.
Image Current Bermudan National Manager, Bermudan U19 Manager WC Champions S20
Manager of Schweedy Balls And The Bloodhounds
Bloodhound of the Transfer Market.

Turbz

Post by Turbz » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:42 am

PepsAngels wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:41 am
Out of curiosity, do you play on more bowler friendly pitches Cyrus? And do you tend to bowl first?

I am seeing similar results in my club - 7/9 players who have increased in form are bowlers, but I think it's largely due to the reasons above.
In addition, the difference in fatigue between a good game and a bad game for a bowler and a bat.

For a bowler, the difference in fatigue is almost negligible given they bowl roughly the same amount of overs.
For a bat, the difference is quite significant. You often can't back up the next match after a big innings.
A reason of why bowlers are able to play more good matches and increase form quicker.

TM-Cyrus
MOD

Post by TM-Cyrus » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:34 am

Would love to hear from the other Nat managers on how many bat v bowlers they have had form rises from?

spark

Post by spark » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:50 am

Cyrus wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:34 am
Would love to hear from the other Nat managers on how many bat v bowlers they have had form rises from?
USA national team have 9 players on capable form and 1 on average. 3 bats and 1 keeper are capable, 5 bowlers are capable, and the average form player is a bowler.

Seems reasonable to me and it's a similar tale for me at club level with it being 4-4 with bowlers and batsmen (including the keeper as a batter).
Manager of Ruff Royals. Image USA National Assistant. Winner of England Senior One Day 1.1: S51 & 52. Winner of England T20 1.1: S51.
Winner of England Youth One Day 1.1: S27 & S40. Winner of England Youth T20 1.1: S53, 54 & 57.

Turbz

Post by Turbz » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:39 pm

Cyrus wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:34 am
6 of 13 in capable form are bowlers for Bangladesh

formWC.png
this is from the 216 players selected at last season's NT20 WC, make of that as you will
it is a small sample in the grand scheme of things, maybe Nat managers avoid picking bowlers in low form.

form started from week 2 last season though with week 1 this season, and it seems the first YT20 match this season isn't included.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TM-Cyrus
MOD

Post by TM-Cyrus » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:16 pm

Just went through my youth games and they played on
Cloudy Hard, overcast uneven, cloudy uneven in YOD undefeated
Windy green, cloudy slow, overcast uneven YT20 undefeated
2 seamers and a Keeper have gone up.
Obviously pitches are having a lot to do with it as the two bowlers are a fast and a F/M and as you can see most are seam friendly decks and conditions and my keeper is an absolute gun but I noticed because of the conditions there’s a lot of nick’s coming his way.
So from this moment forth I will become an advocate for an adjustment to fantasy points based on conditions.
Vote one ATFPBOC.
Seriously though I know you said it’s the next big math problem you will be tackling and obviously will take time as you need to run a million different sims in different conditions and keep adjusting the math as you go for all 48 different combinations of pitch/weather and the coding which could be a bit of a biatch to get done based on variances so if you need a hand :clap
Just out of curiosity do you have a breakdown based on divisions? Wouldn’t have thought there would be too many div one teams playing on flat or hard decks?

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:42 pm

Cyrus wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:16 pm
Obviously pitches are having a lot to do with it as the two bowlers are a fast and a F/M and as you can see most are seam friendly decks and conditions and my keeper is an absolute gun but I noticed because of the conditions there’s a lot of nick’s coming his way.
So from this moment forth I will become an advocate for an adjustment to fantasy points based on conditions.
Vote one ATFPBOC.
Seriously though I know you said it’s the next big math problem you will be tackling and obviously will take time as you need to run a million different sims in different conditions and keep adjusting the math as you go for all 48 different combinations of pitch/weather and the coding which could be a bit of a biatch to get done based on variances so if you need a hand :clap
Just out of curiosity do you have a breakdown based on divisions? Wouldn’t have thought there would be too many div one teams playing on flat or hard decks?
I think being undefeated and player consistency plays a bigger role than the pitch and weather.
What about your other youth squad? From your main side?
By the looks of it you have 5 in average form and they are all bowlers.
I think it is working pretty well and the best players are being reflected with good form whether they bat, bowl or keep.
South Africa U19 Manager seasons 38-41.
Boscorp Cross season 14 - current

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:41 am

I did an overview in several different ways to see if anything stood out
Div
Country
Nationality
And then subset by player type for all of those
(Feel like I am missing another one there that I did too)

All of them had very similar numbers as the overall outcome
We are 90-95% happy with the result, feel like it needs a little tweak as the mean is just a tad higher then the median
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet

GarageTM Foundation Member

starris

Post by starris » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:47 am

For my main side which are mainly 23-24yos and most are ex-youth nats 6 have gone up in form.

Two bowlers
One AR
Three Batters

All are Div3 matches.
The Slack Caps Image Season: 36-42 Division 1.1 Youth Champions
The Lynch Ninjas Image Season: 36-38, 43-46 Division 1.1 Youth Champions

TM-Cyrus
MOD

Post by TM-Cyrus » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:42 am

boscorp wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:42 pm
Cyrus wrote:
Vote one ATFPBOC.
I think being undefeated and player consistency plays a bigger role than the pitch and weather.
I think it is working pretty well and the best players are being reflected with good form whether they bat, bowl or keep.
There all low wage duds, I don’t run youths with that team, so bit hard to take that into account.

TM-Cyrus
MOD

Post by TM-Cyrus » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:50 am

GM-crowfan65 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:41 am
I did an overview in several different ways to see if anything stood out
Div
Country
Nationality
And then subset by player type for all of those
(Feel like I am missing another one there that I did too)

All of them had very similar numbers as the overall outcome
We are 90-95% happy with the result, feel like it needs a little tweak as the mean is just a tad higher then the median
Obviously pitch and weather play a huge part, only thing that bugs me is the Nat squad, it was the same last season with predominantly bowlers going up, must just be the luck of the draw in who’s team they come from and the decks they play on.
I’m happy if across the board it’s pretty even and stable throughout the season, but down the track tweaking it to incorporate pitch and weather would be good to see.
It’s a bit like looking at seam bowlers records in the sub continent, you take them with a grain of salt, perfect example in Bumrah, haven’t followed it too closely of late, but up to the last tour of Australia he’d never played a home test match purely because of pitches.

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:47 am

Cyrus wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:42 am
boscorp wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:42 pm
Cyrus wrote:
Vote one ATFPBOC.
There all low wage duds, I don’t run youths with that team, so bit hard to take that into account.
I only have low wage duds,so do a few with Nat players.
As far as the national players form goes well I figure those that play in lower rated sides have a better chance of scoring the form points to go up regardless of if they bat or bowl.
There's a lot more to it than just the weather or pitch type.
South Africa U19 Manager seasons 38-41.
Boscorp Cross season 14 - current