NZ Community Shield - Reborn

A place for players in New Zealand to communicate.
jonooo

Re: NZ Community Shield - Reborn

Post by jonooo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:01 am

Awesome work Camel, looking forward to this one!
S36 U19 NZ NAT Manager | S37-44 Senior NZ NAT Manager | S39 Senior OD World Cup Winner

Muff

Post by Muff » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:46 am

Awaiting the post mortem of that pantsing :oops:

Nice win Jonoo
Image Realism Ravens - PokeMod Champion & The Quadfather Season 52
Pavilion Cup Champions Season 17
NZ SOD 1.1 Titles x 9 NZ T20 1.1 Titles x 5 NZ YOD 1.1 Titles x 8 NZ YT20 1.1 Titles x 2

jonooo

Post by jonooo » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:52 am

Good game Muff. Your lads had me worried there a couple times, after your fast start with the bat and then at 180-5 i thought you could post something 230+ and make life difficult
S36 U19 NZ NAT Manager | S37-44 Senior NZ NAT Manager | S39 Senior OD World Cup Winner

Muff

Post by Muff » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:04 am

jonooo wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:52 am
Good game Muff. Your lads had me worried there a couple times, after your fast start with the bat and then at 180-5 i thought you could post something 230+ and make life difficult
Yea fell away quick, was banking on Casteleyn getting me a defendable score
NZ SOD 1.1 Titles x 9 NZ T20 1.1 Titles x 5 NZ YOD 1.1 Titles x 8 NZ YT20 1.1 Titles x 2

Camel

Post by Camel » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:43 am

That tail end collapse really hurt. But Muff still managed the to post the highest score against jonooo in the league so far this season!!

Congrats to jonooo for equalling the record for consecutive shield defenses :clap Doc is up next for a challenge in a couple of weeks!

Muff

Post by Muff » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:41 am

Camel wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:43 am
That tail end collapse really hurt. But Muff still managed the to post the highest score against jonooo in the league so far this season!!
Silver linings

Camel

Post by Camel » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:11 pm

Match Preview
High Voltage vs Kramerica Industries
match 5954096

Big Picture
The heavy-hitting shield matches continue this week, with jonooo's now record holding High Voltage putting the shield on the line against the ever-competitive, Doc's Kramerica Industries. We may be about to enter uncharted territory in shield history if jonooo can defend the shield for an unprecedented 12th consecutive match. However, there is more than just the shield on the line, as these two sides occupy the top 2 spots in Div 1. With High Voltage in a position to possibly go 8 points clear at the top of the league, Doc has it all to do if a 3rd consecutive Div 1 title for jonooo is to be prevented. To add even more intrigue to the contest, several player absences due to national duties creates added complications. Be sure not to miss what could be a season defining fixture for both sides.

Team Profile
Kramerica Industries
With much talk surrounding the opposition and only one SOD Div 1 title in 40 seasons of FTP, it is easy to forget that Doc possesses one of the proudest records in NZ. Sitting 3rd on the all-time shield leader board with 33 victories in shield matches, Kramerica Industries have also won 1 SOD Div 1 title, 4 T20 Div 1 titles, and 2 YOD Div 1 titles. This speaks to both the longevity and consistency of Doc's performance at the highest level.

Kramerica's squad this season is remarkably young for this level, with most players in only their mid-20s. What they may lack in experience is made up for by talent, with several current or future NZ nats in the side. A key feature of Kramerica Industries is that they are greater than the sum of their parts, and each player tends to consistently perform well at their role. Having 5 batsmen with over 100 runs and averaging at least 27 in the league is testimony to this. It is this depth that has helped Doc to 2nd in the league despite rating well under 240k. However, it would be amiss not to mention that Kramerica Industries have within their ranks a real fast bowling star in Lisle Nichols. The season's leading wicket taker with 24 scalps in just 6 games has been in irresistible form this season and will continue to be a key figure for the rest of the season.

Here is what Kramerica Industries' manager Doc had to say ahead of the game:
"I think it's great that the NZ Community Shield had been resurrected. For me, it brings back nostalgic feelings for previous teams and memories of their successes. The first step to recapturing past glory begins this week. I've been employing a two-month strategy preparing specifically for this matchup. The 95 runs I scored in week 1 was all part of a clever ruse to lull jonoo into a false sense of security. I fully expect his lads will have their confidence shattered when I break into triple digits this week. We'll find out Friday if his more experienced side can hold their nerve or if my young squad can shock the world."

High Voltage
It is difficult to find enough superlatives about High Voltage these days. On the verge of a never seen before shield winning streak, the squad's performances have gained worldwide attention. But ... how many of those players will be around to defend the shield this time? With an astonishing 15 players away on national duty, jonooo will have to rely largely on fill-ins who are suspiciously past their 'best before' date. This is not a new challenge for the side, but it does bring about inevitable uncertainty.

Having come so far to claim the shield defense record, you can be sure jonooo will not want to relinquish it easily. High Voltage come into this yet again with shorter odds to win that their opponents, but if there was ever a time to bet against them it would be now. And is that MKMC exit at the hands of The El Dude Brothers still hurting?

Here is what High Voltage manager jonooo had to say ahead of the game:
"The potential record breaking Shield win will be a tricky one for High Voltage as we have 15 players off on tour this week! The task isn't made any easier coming up against a very capable manager in Doc. Fingers crossed my 2nd choice XI have enough in them to pull out the victory"

Pitch/conditions
Currently the pitch is expected to have a strong covering of green grass with some rain in the build up. This may change by game day, with a warm gusty nor-wester forecast to dry things out. Expect both sides to come in with a seam focused attack to make the most of the conditions. There should still be enough there for quality spinners to tie the batsmen down also. Pace and bounce is expected to play pretty true, and all-in-all some good runs can be expected with 270+ possibly a winning first innings score. The first 10 overs with the new ball will be crucial for both sides.

Players to watch
Lisle Nichols
It is a real boon for Doc that his chief destroyer will not only be available during tour week, but is also in the form of his life. The RFM has taken 24 wickets in just 6 matches this season, with a remarkable strike rate of 12.92 - yes, that is around about a wicket every two overs :shock: If Doc is to be successful, expect Nichols to play a key role.

Rene van der Wiel
One international player who will still be available is van der Wiel. The Dutch fasty is the only bowler who could compare with Nichols in the league this season. With 22 wickets at an even better average of 7.36, van der Wiel is a proven destroyer with the new nut. Given the context of a tour week, one feels that the battle between the respective pace bowling spearheads of each side may be the factor that determines the result.

My pick
It feels like the week jonooo's reign ends. Tour week tips the balance. I sense a calm confidence among the Kramerica Industries squad that will see Doc primed to steal the shield.

Camel

Post by Camel » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:29 am

And Doc has done it :clap who would have thought 145 would be enough to defend :think

jonooo

Post by jonooo » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:41 am

Congrats on the win Doc :D

Tried my best to hodgepodge together a decent lineup on tour week, but the ring ins let me down lol

Camel

Post by Camel » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:05 am

Well well, Docs hold on the shield couldn't have been much shorter, maintaining a recent reputation of being good at winning the shield but utterly rubbish at retaining it. The last minute home pitch changes have lost their magic touch ...

On the other side, congratulations to buggidifino and the Demented Flamingos who have claimed the shield for the first time in their history with a massive 110 run victory :clap always great to see new names getting a hold of the shield.

It's a quick turnaround until the next shield fixture, with Jim challenging buggidifino next week. Will try and get another preview done for that one :thumbsup

Camel

Post by Camel » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:46 am

Grrr, I almost had a preview all written up ready to go and then had it crash on me and lost it all :wall So apologies again, I am not going to get a proper preview out for this one. To make it up, I'll do a brief review post-tomorrow's match.

Anyway, a few things to keep an eye on for tomorrow:

buggidifino and the Demented Flamingos continue to exceed expectations in just their second season in Div 1, locked in a title fight despite having a small squad that is a rather eclectic mix of players in their 30s. Jim and Herosnzeros on the other hand went on a red-hot run to the MKMC quarter-finals, but at the expense of the league. They find themselves in a three-way relegation battle.

There isn't much shield history for these clubs, with only 4 shield wins between them. Furthermore, they have only ever played each other 5 times in the past, so there is a lot of exciting unpredictability for this one.

A slow pitch is being served up and the weather is windy, so expect to see a lot of dibbly-dobbly, wibbly-wobbly. Batting first and posting in excess of 240 is the way to go, before tying down the run chase and letting RR pressure do most of the damage.

buggidifino has no players away for tour week, whilst Jim has a few players away providing another challenge.

Here is what Jim had to say about the game:
"The guys will be looking to get there one day season back on track. After having a good cup run, we’ve struggled of late with 4 consecutive losses which puts us in a race to avoid relegation. A Win here will give us our first and only bit of silverware for the season."

My pick: Jim has a strong side, but with the effects of tour week and playing away from home, I'm picking the buggidifino to grind out a cagey win and chalk up a first successful shield defence :thumbsup

Camel

Post by Camel » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:06 am

An extraordinary display of dominance by the Demented Flamingos, sees buggidifino successfully defend the shield!

Electing to bat first, Flamingos openers Flynn and Makongola made a fast start, constructing a 52 run partnership at close to a run a ball. Archibald claimed the first scalp for the Herosnzeros, with a full and fast thunderbolt rearranging Makongola's furniture. Any hopes Jim may have had of the spinners then tying the batsmen down, quickly faded as Crawford joined Flynn in efficiently accumulating runs. Legspinner Deshabandu did manage to bowl a delightful wrongun that deceived Crawford just shy of his 50, but it did little to disrupt the rhythm of Flynn who would go on to make 72 with exceptional control. However, the middle overs were all about McInnis who defied the slow nature of the wicket to score a quickfire 86(81). Whilst disappointed to fall shy of a century, this was a match defining innings. Left-arm spinner Goodland was the only player to really step up for Herosnzeros, bringing some cheer to their fans with 3 quick wickets to spark a small collapse of 13/4 leading into the death overs. However, any thoughts of restricting the total to a chase-able score were promptly dashed by Flamingos all-rounders Brook and Ervine, as they stitched together an unbeaten partnership of 62 runs of just 49 balls to power the Demented Flamingos past 300. An innings total of 302/6 represented a remarkable batting effort, that had all but batted Herosnzeros out of the game.

Facing a run chase that was at least 50-60 runs above par, Jim's men were always up against it. It immediately went awry for Herosnzeros, when looking for a fast start against the seamers they lost Macrae, Ingram, and Carlton in the first 10 overs. The run chase never really recovered, as Flamingos captain Jirongo cleverly managed his bowlers and field settings to suffocate any middle order resistance. A decisive blow was made in just the 19th over, as Ervine removed Tshabalala to break the only partnership of any substance. This triggered another batting collapse, as Herosnzeros were dismissed for just 156 inside 40 overs. The only crumb of consolation for Jim was that young spin all-rounder Goodland added to his 3 wickets in the first innings, with a gritty 32(65) to cap a quality individual performance. Fast bowler Brooks was the chief destroyer for the Demented Flamingos with 4-42, whilst off-spinners Ervine and Quinn were miserly, claiming 3-58 off 20 overs between them.

The result failed to change either side's position in the league, but the 146 run margin provides a helpful NRR boost for the Demented Flamingos, as buggidifino continues the quest for a maiden Div 1 title. The next shield defense is not until the final round of the season, when the Flamingos are at home to already relegated bot side kuranui. This means that buggidifino will carry the shield into next season, so a massive congratulations is in order there :clap

Be sure to tune into the league matches next week however, as both of these sides face absolutely massive fixtures that will likely define their season. Herosnzeros have a do-or-die match at home to fellow relegation rivals Ayatollah of Rockenrollah, while Demented Flamingos are away to the all-powerful High Voltage in a top-of-the-table clash. What an exciting time of the season for all involved! :thumbsup

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:34 am

Great write up mate, a shame my guys didn’t put up more of a performance but onto next week and a win will hopefully mean we avoid Demoting. The older guys playing for there Contracts next couple games.
Herosnzeros Titles: T20: S35
Crazy Horses Titles: YOD: S29. Pavilion cup S39
NZ U19s NM S26-29 AM 24-25. Scottish NM 33-34 37-, AM 30-32 35-36

starris

Post by starris » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:55 pm

Muff wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:16 am
Great write up camel :thumbsup
Yes that was epic... NZ journalists would do well to learn from a well researched, unbiased enjoyable read.
The Slack Caps Image Season: 36-42 Division 1.1 Youth Champions
The Lynch Ninjas Image Season: 36-38, 43-46 Division 1.1 Youth Champions

Camel

Post by Camel » Sat May 07, 2022 12:44 am

buggidifino's recently chalked up a 3rd successive shield defense after claiming a 6 wicket victory over Muff. The next shield defense will have a familiar flavor, with jonooo looking to claim back the title that has become synonymous with his side in recent times, with the next challenge in a couple of weeks!