NZ Community Shield - Reborn

A place for players in New Zealand to communicate.
Camel

NZ Community Shield - Reborn

Post by Camel » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:32 pm

The greatest FTP competition in NZ is back!!! :party After dying an untimely death due to my former-self going bot and losing all shield data with it (apologies :oops: ), it was only fair that I take the time to resurrect the NZ Community Shield. Similar to the Ranfurly Shield in NZ provincial rugby (pictured), the NZ Community Shield is a unique competition that rewards clubs for being consistently strong at home and developing their home ground into a fortress.

For those unfamiliar, the rules are as follows:
  1. The shield competition is exclusively for clubs based in the NZ leagues, and runs simultaneously with the NZ SOD leagues.
  2. One club at a time is the "defender" of the shield. Every SOD match that the defender plays at home is a shield match, where the shield is put up for grabs against their opponent, known as the "challenger".
  3. If the challenger is victorious, they obtain the shield and become the new defender. If the defender is victorious or the match ends in a tie, the defender retains the shield until it is put on the line again at their next home match.
  4. Clubs are awarded a point for both a successful challenge and a successful defense.
  5. A shield challenge cannot take place in any other competition or match type, including MKMC matches.
  6. If the shield defender is promoted or relegated at the end of the season, the shield moves with them into the new division. This is intended to give teams in lower divisions the occasional chance to play for the shield.
Beginning with the first ever non-bot winner of NZ SOD Div 1.1. in season 3, I have trawled through all the matches played in every season since and developed a complete shield history. This time, points and successful defenses have also been tallied to give an all-time shield leaderboard. All shield data will be managed and updated in the spreadsheet below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ue&sd=true

Current Shield Defender:
High Voltage (jonooo)

Next Shield Challenge:
13 Jan 2022
High Voltage vs kuranui

Camel

Re: NZ Community Shield - Reborn

Post by Camel » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:34 pm

Some interesting facts and stats about the shield:
  • A total of 38 different clubs have held the shield at some point, however only 28 clubs have ever successfully defended the shield.
  • Ayatollah of Rockenrollah is the most successful club in shield history, with a total of 43 shield points. However, looking exclusively at successful shield defenses, Realism Ravens is head and shoulders above the rest, with 29 successful defenses.
  • The longest successful shield streak is 11 defenses by wheelbarrow in Season 8-9, although this did include an entire season in Div 2. The longest streak exclusively in Div 1 belongs to kuranui in Season 42-43, with 9 successful defenses. High Voltage is currently threatening these records, with an unbeaten run of 8 defenses.
  • The shield has had two stints in Div 2, once in Season 9, and once in Seasons 25-26. On both occasions taken down by wheelbarrow.
  • The most successful shield challenges in a season was 8 in Season 36, with the shield shared between 7 of the 8 clubs in Div 1 that season.
Last edited by Camel on Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

GA-Jim
MOD

Post by GA-Jim » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:41 am

Great work Camel :thumbsup

Look forward to it this season as our Div 1 is stacked!!
Herosnzeros Titles: T20: S35
Crazy Horses Titles: YOD: S29. Pavilion cup S39
NZ U19s NM S26-29 AM 24-25. Scottish NM 33-34 37-, AM 30-32 35-36

tungsten

Post by tungsten » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:41 am

I have sadly never held the shield.
Main Dreamers and affiliate Direwolves

Camel

Post by Camel » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:49 am

Am I missing something? Dreamers has held it a couple of times in S36.

tungsten

Post by tungsten » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:04 am

Oh, I wasn’t aware lol, nice to know.
Main Dreamers and affiliate Direwolves

jonooo

Post by jonooo » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:35 pm

Awesome work Camel, look forward to defending the shield!

Home games just became a lot more important for me
S36 U19 NZ NAT Manager | S37-44 Senior NZ NAT Manager | S39 Senior OD World Cup Winner

DanielVettoriSpin

Post by DanielVettoriSpin » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:58 pm

Wow. A trophy the mighty Cheesecake have held. Who knew?

starris

Post by starris » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:00 pm

Something to aspire to if I'm not broke!
The Slack Caps Image Season: 36-42 Division 1.1 Youth Champions
The Lynch Ninjas Image Season: 36-38, 43-46 Division 1.1 Youth Champions

Camel

Post by Camel » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:14 am

Was looking forward to previewing the first shield match of the season, but sadly jonooo's opposition has gone bot :cry: sad to see offy leave the game, but I guess it is a bonus shield point for jonooo. Stay tuned for the next match-up! :thumbsup