Don't cull managers as quickly

How can we improve the game? Please post your ideas here.
vaguely

Don't cull managers as quickly

Post by vaguely » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:56 am

I fear the game has lost a lot of casual players over the years as the inactivity limit is too short.

It's not that hard to make decent team that can be competitive in the lower leagues, with minimal/no week to week input.
It's much more enjoyable to play these teams than to beat a bot by 400 runs.
They're never going to be competitive against a 1.1 League team, but this is the type of team new players to the game could face.

But this type of player is often kicked out, because they don't log in often enough.
We punish players that want to set and forget, and replace them with bits that tend to be worse.
I feel the amount of bots in the lower leagues takes away the appeal for new players to the game.

vaguely

Re: Don't cull managers as quickly

Post by vaguely » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:22 am

As an example, let's look at my team.
It's kinda set and forget, except I'm bankrupt and the game has been selling my players and I haven't made any changes to make up for this.
I haven't bought a player since 2020, which gives an indication of my activity over the last couple of years.

Look at some of these results:
430 run win
332 run win
386 run win
446 run win
466 run win
384 run win

I should be an easy beat.
Actually, I am an easy beat if you look at when I played a real team.

In the lower leagues, I'm much more fun to play than a bot.
Yet players like me get their team kicked and couldn't be bothered putting in the investment again.
The difference with me is I'm more invested (I've had this team for longer than most).

I don't think inactive teams should be kept forever.
I definitely think that end of season promotion/demotion should kick inactive teams and promote active teams to fill their spots.
But the gulf between a minimal investment real player and a bot is massive - I don't want to see more/better bots, I want more real players.

darkmatter

Post by darkmatter » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:54 pm

Providing the background finance accumulation is in check I think this has some merit for consideration.

How long would a side have to be inactive for before deletion?
Darkmatter - USA u19 assistant (seasons 5-7); u19 manager(seasons 8-9); Assistant manager (season 10 -14,17-some time); National Manager (season 14 - 16) Winner (s16 & s17 T20 1.1)(s46 SOD 1.1

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:56 am

the first sunday after 50 days of inactivity
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet

GarageTM Foundation Member

Cynic

Post by Cynic » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:04 am

GM-crowfan65 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:56 am
Or whenever the membership ends thereafter for those who have it?
Yellow Comet The Hybrid Dolphins
My post count remains my greatest achievement in this world.

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:06 am

Cynic wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:04 am
GM-crowfan65 wrote:
Correct, the same rule applies. The first sunday after membership expires as long as it has been more than 50 days

Klauts

Post by Klauts » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:56 am

GM-crowfan65 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:06 am
Cynic wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:04 am
GM-crowfan65 wrote:
Correct, the same rule applies. The first sunday after membership expires as long as it has been more than 50 days
Wait what? So the first Sunday exactly after membership ends?
I thought it would be 50 days after the membership ends on the Sunday?

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:19 am

the 50days has already been served since the last login so once membership runs out that is all they wrote

darkmatter

Post by darkmatter » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:30 pm

Apologises, I meant for this suggestion - what is the OP suggesting the inactivity time should be.
Darkmatter - USA u19 assistant (seasons 5-7); u19 manager(seasons 8-9); Assistant manager (season 10 -14,17-some time); National Manager (season 14 - 16) Winner (s16 & s17 T20 1.1)(s46 SOD 1.1

sLing

Post by sLing » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:32 pm

vaguely wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:22 am
As an example, let's look at my team.
It's kinda set and forget, except I'm bankrupt and the game has been selling my players and I haven't made any changes to make up for this.
I haven't bought a player since 2020, which gives an indication of my activity over the last couple of years.

Look at some of these results:
430 run win
332 run win
386 run win
446 run win
466 run win
384 run win

I should be an easy beat.
Actually, I am an easy beat if you look at when I played a real team.

In the lower leagues, I'm much more fun to play than a bot.
Yet players like me get their team kicked and couldn't be bothered putting in the investment again.
The difference with me is I'm more invested (I've had this team for longer than most).

I don't think inactive teams should be kept forever.
I definitely think that end of season promotion/demotion should kick inactive teams and promote active teams to fill their spots.
But the gulf between a minimal investment real player and a bot is massive - I don't want to see more/better bots, I want more real players.
The last point is fairly accurate. The best of second-ranked teams in the lower league should be promoted to higher leagues replacing bots.

TM-Cyrus
MOD

Post by TM-Cyrus » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:59 am

If you haven’t bothered to log in for over 7 weeks then why should the account remain active?
A few things occur when this happens, players become highly fatigued because any that have started gaining fatigue are not rotated, which causes a slowdown in training and ratings to plummet.
Training is not adjusted on any of the players, therefore the players in that team become “unbalanced”, you end up with players that are loaded with fielding and Crud primary’s, high primary’s and no strength, fitness or fielding or loaded with secondary’s, fitness and strength, and again low primary’s.
Orders are not updated as players develop and change, so you take all these things into account and a manager that hasn’t logged in for that long is fielding teams, that are in most cases worse than playing a bot, the only difference being is that on the ladder they don’t show as a bot.
And of course no youths are recruited in that time, it’s not like I can leave my account for 10 weeks then come back and do 10 weeks worth of recruits.
And if that team is in division 3-4 and being left alone and scrapes enough wins to stay up then in my eyes an inactive account is just taking away a slot in a higher division for a div 4-5 team that is active.

As for promoting teams finishing 2nd, 3rd ect it all ready happens, there’s a bot flush every season so if teams in division 4 go bot then teams from div 5 will promote, Crowie can correct this if wrong but I’m pretty sure the promotion’s are rankings based to replace bot’s in these circumstances, as for higher divisions I believe if a team goes bot in let’s say division 2 then I believe only one team from that league demotes.
Image Current Bermudan National Manager, Bermudan U19 Manager WC Champions S20
Manager of Schweedy Balls And The Bloodhounds
Bloodhound of the Transfer Market.

Klauts

Post by Klauts » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:00 am

TM-Cyrus wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:59 am
If you haven’t bothered to log in for over 7 weeks then why should the account remain active?
A few things occur when this happens, players become highly fatigued because any that have started gaining fatigue are not rotated, which causes a slowdown in training and ratings to plummet.
Training is not adjusted on any of the players, therefore the players in that team become “unbalanced”, you end up with players that are loaded with fielding and Crud primary’s, high primary’s and no strength, fitness or fielding or loaded with secondary’s, fitness and strength, and again low primary’s.
Orders are not updated as players develop and change, so you take all these things into account and a manager that hasn’t logged in for that long is fielding teams, that are in most cases worse than playing a bot, the only difference being is that on the ladder they don’t show as a bot.
And of course no youths are recruited in that time, it’s not like I can leave my account for 10 weeks then come back and do 10 weeks worth of recruits.
And if that team is in division 3-4 and being left alone and scrapes enough wins to stay up then in my eyes an inactive account is just taking away a slot in a higher division for a div 4-5 team that is active.

As for promoting teams finishing 2nd, 3rd ect it all ready happens, there’s a bot flush every season so if teams in division 4 go bot then teams from div 5 will promote, Crowie can correct this if wrong but I’m pretty sure the promotion’s are rankings based to replace bot’s in these circumstances, as for higher divisions I believe if a team goes bot in let’s say division 2 then I believe only one team from that league demotes.
I thought three demote, including the bot?

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:07 am

If a bot is 6th or above and gets demoted then one of the teams finishing 7th across the div is saved

paulc

Post by paulc » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:15 am

TM-Cyrus wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:59 am

I recognize all the points you make....and still I'd take even the chance of an active member over a bot.
You make the OP's point pretty well for me.
ex-SL u19 manager, winner T20 world cup, runner up 50 over world cup way back when.
More recently winner of an unacknowledged SOD 1.1 and T20 1.1 double :P