Quick Questions V4

New to the game? This is the forum for you. In this forum there is no such thing as a silly question :), although please make sure to browse through the game manual before posting.
GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Quick Questions V4

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:57 am

Post your quick questions here for a rapid reply

We just refresh the thread every so often, so we don't have big 100-page threads, where it can get tough to find recent & relevant information.
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet
Image Current Aust U19 Asst (Been around far too long)
GarageTM Foundation Member

Knights123

Re: Quick Questions V4

Post by Knights123 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:13 am

Hey all,

I used to play FTP quite a while ago (wrote the bulk of the first game manual) and was feeling nostalgic so decided to come back to it and give it a go. Very sad to hear of the passing of Ash and would like to pass on my condolences to his friends and family.

I had a few questions that I thought I'd post here:
  • As a new player how much should I budget on player wages and how much can I expect to make in revenue week to week (after the initial 50k boosts finish?
  • How much do I need to worry about fitness? How many players should I aim for in my squad?
  • Why are seemingly weak players in their mid-20s being bought? I listed some of my worst players when I started and I'm shocked that they even have bids

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:32 am

Welcome Back mate
Were you mahara something knights then Newcastle Knights?
I think from the Sportal group as it was in those early days

My current senior team is reasonably young and have a strong youth side, I pay 116k for wages, I wouldn't be looking to spend too much more
12-14 in your squad is enough, 5-6 bats 1-2wk 6 bowlers (3 of each spin/seam) with a couple that can bat a little
35-50k in gatetakings for the early weeks, win most of your games will see it increase
Prices are all over the shop for players at the moment, I think lack of much on the market id contributing to it, supply and demand sort of thing. Next couple of weeks I expect them to drop away again as the mid season money struggles start to it.

Shahzaday11

Post by Shahzaday11 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:56 am

Is Position of the batsman a specific number he wants and like to bat at or position have nothing to do with it.

Knights123

Post by Knights123 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:02 am

GM-crowfan65 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:32 am
Welcome Back mate
Were you mahara something knights then Newcastle Knights?
I think from the Sportal group as it was in those early days

My current senior team is reasonably young and have a strong youth side, I pay 116k for wages, I wouldn't be looking to spend too much more
12-14 in your squad is enough, 5-6 bats 1-2wk 6 bowlers (3 of each spin/seam) with a couple that can bat a little
35-50k in gatetakings for the early weeks, win most of your games will see it increase
Prices are all over the shop for players at the moment, I think lack of much on the market id contributing to it, supply and demand sort of thing. Next couple of weeks I expect them to drop away again as the mid season money struggles start to it.
Yep that's me! Nice to see you're still here. I see that butlee, deltron and eggy are around as well.

That's great advice. Should help a lot. So far, I've just been buying up players for under 5k which are far better than my starting squad until I work out what my team should look like. I'm up to 27 players in the seniors at the moment, so I know I need to get rid of them soon. Just trying to work out what my wage should be and then sell / fire players accordingly.

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:11 am

Actually Del left a while back and Butlee is about to go bot too, a few of the old crew still here
I actually own the game now and run it with some invaluable help from friends
We are i the process of tidying things up and reviewing everything
Hopefully start to make some improvements/additions shortly

Knights123

Post by Knights123 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:48 am

GM-crowfan65 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:11 am
Actually Del left a while back and Butlee is about to go bot too, a few of the old crew still here
I actually own the game now and run it with some invaluable help from friends
We are i the process of tidying things up and reviewing everything
Hopefully start to make some improvements/additions shortly
Damn, that's a shame.

Fantastic news about you picking up the game though. Can't begin to imagine how hard it would be to read through code and tidy stuff up. I reckon creating an app would really help pick up the user base but I know that's not a small feat. Really enjoying being back into FTP though.

MOD-Qadir
MOD

Post by MOD-Qadir » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:37 am

Blimey - I saw Knights as most recent poster and thought I was back in a time warp or something. :lol:

Welcome back laddie.

First off, knock that 27 down a bit quickly as you are losing training as the percentage is going down once you go in the mid twenties. And don't get sucked into an arms race buying 30+ yr olds early on. There is a bot flush that runs at end of season that removes bots from higher divisions so you may snare a lucky promotion early on even if you don't win your league. Those older guys will suck the money straight out of your club and have a resale vale of almost zero when you go to move them on. Take your time climbing the ladder and play the long game.
Shahzaday11 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:56 am
Is Position of the batsman a specific number he wants and like to bat at or position have nothing to do with it.
HI Shah - there are talents that can assist when someone is in at the right time. Opener gives a bonus early in the innings and Finisher gives that bonus later but is much harder to judge when they are going to come in. Otherwise, nothing is hard coded in against a player. You need to judge where to put them based on their skill levels, endurance and power. It is what makes the game interesting. Try and get players with relevant talents if you can, they do help.
There is no substitute for experience. Though luck can help - just ask Bongo.

Knights123

Post by Knights123 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:09 pm

MOD-Qadir wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:37 am
Blimey - I saw Knights as most recent poster and thought I was back in a time warp or something. :lol:

Welcome back laddie.

First off, knock that 27 down a bit quickly as you are losing training as the percentage is going down once you go in the mid twenties. And don't get sucked into an arms race buying 30+ yr olds early on. There is a bot flush that runs at end of season that removes bots from higher divisions so you may snare a lucky promotion early on even if you don't win your league. Those older guys will suck the money straight out of your club and have a resale vale of almost zero when you go to move them on. Take your time climbing the ladder and play the long game.
Nice to see another familiar name. Cheers for the advice. I'm in the process of cutting down the squad now. Aiming to be at 22 by the time the senior training rolls around.

The way I've structured my squad, I've got 1 30yo who's costing me money and the rest are sub-5k 20-22yos that I plan to train up.

Knights123

Post by Knights123 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:24 am

Another quick question. Is power useful at all for a spinner in terms of their bowling? From the game manuals it doesn't seem like it but just wanted to double check.

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:49 am

yes it is but not as much as it is for bats and seamers

MOD-Qadir
MOD

Post by MOD-Qadir » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:16 am

My personal view is that it is more important for WS than FS. I have no numerical evidence to back that up but I have collected no numerical evidence for anything. That's Crowy's bailiwick.
There is no substitute for experience. Though luck can help - just ask Bongo.

Knights123

Post by Knights123 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:57 am

Another quick question.

I know the skills summary is independent of fatigue, but does it account for form?

Also, what would be the reasons why the skills summary on the orders page would be different to that on the player page?

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:17 am

The orders page takes into account fatigue

mhazer91

Post by mhazer91 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:52 am

I'm currently training my keeper in fielding.
Does fielding affect keepers?
fielding keeper.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.