7 wickets in 8 balls

General gameplay questions can be posted here.
Plaatkoek

7 wickets in 8 balls

Post by Plaatkoek » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:46 pm

Please see the following game.

http://www.fromthepavilion.org/commenta ... Id=5112635

I know I've posted about this before (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38568)
And the 2 answers was
MD-Summit wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:23 pm
It is a RNG and on this end of the scale all the odds fell in one teams favor. Whilst the percent of this happening again is mynute, it is not impossible if everything falls correctly
GM-crowfan65 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:18 am
Every ball is calculated individually taking into account the batter, the bowler, the conditions, the game situation, the par score, etc etc
But this is second time in 10 games, for the same player that something like this has happend.

I know that the opponent was much stronger. But on a Flat pitch, where RR 10.72 RRR 13.00 (26 runs required from 2 overs). And 2 batsmen that just scored 24 and 18 in the last 2 overs, when it was RR 10.12 RRR 14.25. Something just seem off and I was just wondering if someone can just check it out, because it feels like the Match Engine "corrects" itself much later in the game that what it should.

Hellbound81

Re: 7 wickets in 8 balls

Post by Hellbound81 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:59 pm

:lol:

I would call that a "match engine correction" where the "wrong team" based on ratings was about to win and was not intended to.

That is just a crazy display and something I have personally never experienced in real life.
Image South Africa NAT Team (Assistant: Season 36-38)
Image South Africa U19 Team (Manager: Season 32-35, Assistant: Season 38-41)

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:13 pm

No such things as match engine correction, it doesn't know who is supposed to win
Similar thing happened to England in WC semi too
I will check the db to make sure something hasnt gone awry
T20 can be a bit crazy but will check
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet
Image Current Aust U20 Asst
GarageTM Foundation Member

Eggy6198

Post by Eggy6198 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:21 pm

it happens when the RR has got to high.
the ME bascially gives
80% chance of this
10% they just bat it out usual loads of drops
10% they actually score the runs

sadly in the semi when we had the same score after 12 overs I knew we where beat. you actually have to score faster earlier to avoid it. thats the ME
Note to self don't get wound up by strangers on the internet!
'those election results were poor judgement by those who voted'

Hellbound81

Post by Hellbound81 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:21 pm

My apologies Crowfan, I neglected to add the /s but I expected you to see the pun in my remark.

Plaatkoek

Post by Plaatkoek » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:26 pm

Hellbound81 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:59 pm
:lol:

I would call that a "match engine correction" where the "wrong team" based on ratings was about to win and was not intended to.
Exactly what I was feeling! It would have been sooooo wrong if I won. But the ME has a way to kick you when I feel confident. :D
GM-crowfan65 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:13 pm
No such things as match engine correction, it doesn't know who is supposed to win
Similar thing happened to England in WC semi too
I will check the db to make sure something hasnt gone awry
T20 can be a bit crazy but will check
Thanks Crowfan! That is all I'm asking for. Im a dev myself and I know how hard it can be troubleshoot things that is complex as hell and that someone else wrote. Also to simulate real life is basically impossible, especially the beautiful game of cricket.

It is appreciated!

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:36 pm

Yeah fortunately he put the base numbers for bat and bowler into tbl with wicket chance and agg etc so not too had to investigate

it will be tomorrow now as it is past this old man's bedtime after another day of 40plus temps. 8 out of the last 15 I think it has been over 40.

Hellbound81

Post by Hellbound81 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:45 pm

The good news is there was a sunspot just 3 days ago for about 5 days resulting in a total of 80 sunspots over the period which would have contributed to that heat you experienced after 39 days of zero sunspot activity.

MD-Summit
MOD

Post by MD-Summit » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:34 pm

I reckon I could explain every wicket here in a real life sense.

18.1 W Neethling to Holtzhausen : [catch] Neethling bowls a full toss on off, Holtzhausen tries to go over cover but does not clear the fielder and hits it straight to Dareeju who takes the catch. The crowd has gone berserk.B. Holtzhausen c E. Dareeju b. W. Neethling 13 (7b 1x4 0x6) SR:185.71

Poor delivery, gets hit, gets caught.

18.2 2W Neethling to Kannemeyer : [runout] Played past point and the batsmen decide to take on the fielder. Sadly they are both watching the ball and collide. A wild throw comes in and is taken by Koen mid-pitch, who has the presence of mind to select the correct end and throw down the stumps.F. Kannemeyer run out (J. Wessels) 2 (1b 0x4 0x6) SR:200.00

Needing 26 from 11 balls, takes a chance on a 3rd run

18.3 W Neethling to Bezuidenhout : [catch] Looping flight from Neethling, but Bezuidenhout reads it early, dances down the track to get to the pitch. His attempt to slam it straight back over the bowler's head only results in a simple catch for long on.L. Bezuidenhout c E. Dareeju b. W. Neethling 0 (1b 0x4 0x6) SR:0.00

24 from 10 balls, dances down the track and gets caught

18.4 W Neethling to Geldenhuys : [catch] Fuller in length and wide outside the off stump, Geldenhuys goes for an expansive drive and the ball goes straight to Finlason at backward point. The bat turned at the point of impact and the ball went high up towards the fielder who timed his jump perfectly.F. Geldenhuys c A. Finlason b. W. Neethling 51 (27b 4x4 1x6) SR:188.89

24 runs from 9 balls, established batsman needs to turn it over, win or lose. he lost

18.5 W Neethling to Bell : [catch] Nicked and gone! Regulation dismissal and a great ball from Neethling bowling in that tricky area around the top of off stump.

Regulation wicket

18.6 1W Neethling to Montgomery : [runout] Played past point and the batsmen decide to take on the fielder. Sadly they are both watching the ball and collide. A wild throw comes in and is taken by Koen mid-pitch, who has the presence of mind to select the correct end and throw down the stumps.U. Montgomery run out (C. Michau) 1 (1b 0x4 0x6) SR:100.00

24 runs from 7 balls. You'd rather them take a chance on an extra run..

19.2 W Dareeju to Newson : A straight ball hits him in line, the finger is slowly raised.G. Newson lbw b. E. Dareeju 0 (2b 0x4 0x6) SR:0.00

Game was over, doesnt really matter.

The MR isnt really a concern for me, game was definitely "winable" Unlikely but still a chance. But the pressure got to the team.

2 wickets were runouts with your players taking a chance. You would rather read that then

They need 26 runs off 11 balls but the batsman have decided to not take a chance on an extra run
Managing Director

Canada National Manager

Plaatkoek

Post by Plaatkoek » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:22 am

I understand that for ball by ball it might be explained. But what about the big picture?
Will players not take the bigger picture into account?

7 wickets in 8 balls just seem off, but it has happend in real life before... :shock:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/conten ... 83445.html

My worry is that it happens "quite" frequent (twice in 10 games for same player). And I just want someone to check if something is not wrong. Or maybe can be enhanced from a dev perspective.

If the Match Engine does this, then it is fine and we will have to live with that. But I'm just scared that if this happens quite frequent, then it will chase other players away and FTP might die a slow death. :cry:

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:00 am

ok I had a look and it all appears legitimate
What appears to have happen is once Neethling got Holtzhausen and they followed it up with a runout, then 4 of the next 5 wkts, the bowler was more heavily favoured and the numbers fell their way

T20 seem to do this more often but I will be checking to make sure it isn't a trend but just some anamolies

Plaatkoek

Post by Plaatkoek » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:42 am

Thanks Crowfan! Appreciate!

I'll keep a eye out if this happens again.

werdo64

Post by werdo64 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:13 pm

Plaatkoek wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:22 am
I understand that for ball by ball it might be explained. But what about the big picture?
Will players not take the bigger picture into account?

7 wickets in 8 balls just seem off, but it has happend in real life before... :shock:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/conten ... 83445.html

My worry is that it happens "quite" frequent (twice in 10 games for same player). And I just want someone to check if something is not wrong. Or maybe can be enhanced from a dev perspective.

If the Match Engine does this, then it is fine and we will have to live with that. But I'm just scared that if this happens quite frequent, then it will chase other players away and FTP might die a slow death. :cry:
I'm surprised Crowie didn't mention this, and I know this thread is really old now, but in that 10 games for you (from the first to second occurrance) the game simulated thousands, if not tens of thousands of games. As in true random there are clusters, and you just got unlucky to be victim to a cluster.
Manager of Lightning Dragon CC
South African U20's Assistant