Cricket Discussion - WC and Beyond

A place to discuss cricket, whether it be the golden duck you scored in 4th grade last weekend, or a discussion about international matches.
fgrenyu843

Re: Cricket Discussion - WC and Beyond

Post by fgrenyu843 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:41 am

MOD-wmchamps wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:47 am
New Zealand bounced back really well from the T20 whitewash to take the ODI series.

Never easy to beat India in India, but I was impressed with the two ODI performances.

Taylor in the first match paced the chase brilliantly, it was good for Latham's growth as well to be spending time on the crease with such experience at the other end.
The T20 series, we really should have won that 3-2.

It's actually being played in New Zealand so not sure where the India in India is coming from.

Finally, not sure what you mean there about Lathams growth. He's played 97 ODI's and 50 tests. He's very much a senior player and was the captain for the first two ODI's. Also, Taylor 'experience' didn't exactly help when he essentially cost us three matches in the T20 series...
It is frowned upon to make valid points about someone in a position on power that show them off in a negative light.

Season 28 T20 world Cup winner.

Leader of the New Zealand renaissance.

MOD-wmchamps
MOD

Post by MOD-wmchamps » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:14 am

Typo regarding the India in India, they are a good side in all conditions.

Agreed that the T20 was really a close fought one despite the result, but in the first ODI Taylor did help take the chase deep along with Latham, and made sure that New Zealand got home.

Regarding Latham, yes he's played quite a bit, what I meant was that it looks like he might be the next captain after Williamson, so I was referring to the fact that he has a good group of players to lean on for advice and feedback.

I'll admit that I don't know much about the Kiwi domestic scene, so do you guys think that Taylor might retire from T20s after the WC, and who might be some potential replacements for him down the line?
ImageNAT Manager
Image2-time NAT ODI WC winner

fgrenyu843

Post by fgrenyu843 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:21 pm

MOD-wmchamps wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:14 am

I'll admit that I don't know much about the Kiwi domestic scene, so do you guys think that Taylor might retire from T20s after the WC, and who might be some potential replacements for him down the line?
To be honest, there really isn't much coming through. Taylor isn't even really a lock in the T20 side but, yes, he may give that away after the World Cup. I believe he wants to try and get to the 2023 50 over World Cup but I highly doubt that he will make it.

In terms of domestic, there is a guy from South Africa that is getting a lot of buzz. He qualifies for NZ in September but I'd rather we pick our home grown players (We're starting to turn into 'England'). Another that is highly touted is Will Young however he has been injured a lot but also hasn't set the domestic scene alight despite being around for more than a few years now.

To sum up, we are scraping the barrel as it is with the like of De Grandhomme, Santner and Kuggeleleijn being around team. The gap between them and our top players is massive.
It is frowned upon to make valid points about someone in a position on power that show them off in a negative light.

Season 28 T20 world Cup winner.

Leader of the New Zealand renaissance.

dazmcspaz

Post by dazmcspaz » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:51 pm

Hellbound81 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:54 pm
Is Ngidi the most overrated player in world cricket ?
No.

Hellbound81

Post by Hellbound81 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 am

dazmcspaz wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:51 pm
No.
Who is then ?
Image South Africa NAT Team (Assistant: Season 36-38)
Image South Africa U19 Team (Manager: Season 32-35, Assistant: Season 38-41)

jabatito

Post by jabatito » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:46 pm

Hellbound81 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 am
dazmcspaz wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:51 pm
No.
Who is then ?
Depending on your nationality, there is at least one player per nation who is claimed to be so overrated according to some fans: how about picking this bunch and choosing your preferred, apologies in advance if I forgot any of your much hated players :lol:
England: well, Chris Jordan? Moeen Ali? On the bats, sorry folks but any opener before Rory (KJ et all) would do
Australia: a few would claim Zampa, but then he tends to get Kohli out, does not he? My take, believe or not would go for Starcy. Surely a great bowler, but not the greatest ever as many claim, well at least that is my opinion. Usman can be the best or the worst ever depending on the day
New Zealand: would you pick CdG or perhaps claim Southee not as good as his record suggests?
India: surely Umesh is in the mix here, but when he bowls in India I believe he is deadly. On the other hand, Ashwin was always overrated in my views and this is currently showing because Jadeja is very good all round cricketer. Mind you, many will disagree and they are entitled to their opinion of course. No-hit Sharma definitely in contention when India are playing Tests away from home
Windies: Jaz Holder will always stand there against his haters and for his lovers; any hope for Hope since that famous Test win vs England? Pollard has simply been so overrated throughout his career in my opinion
Bangladesh: Mushfiqur is a great bat, but how about his keeping and annoying shouts / looks from behind the stumps? Having said so, are Bangla seamers overrated? There is always so much hope in those but all tend to throw it away, no fizz just fuss
Pakistan: ah my favourites for this thread! the eternal seam bowling hope Amir, or how about the bowler that was supposed to rule the past decade but seems to fade away now Yasir Shah. Rizwan that good, really?
There are so many countries and names to pick that this could last forever.......
EDIT: by the way, how would you rate Chris Morris and David Miller in this list, huh? Also Bavuma there, HB?
Jabatito's First XI
Stagnation leaders since S30

Hellbound81

Post by Hellbound81 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:00 pm

My point is more specifically with how Ngidi is being lauded as the 2nd coming, meanwhile he struggles to bowl 130kph while labeling himself as a "fast bowler".

His last 2 matches: 5 overs, 0 for 52 and 2 overs, 0 for 20 that became 3 overs, 1 for 25.

These are absolutely horrible figures, but the excuse is that he is still "nursing his way back to best rhythm and conditioning after another challenging period of injury-enforced inactivity"...

How often did it not happen for Steyn's career to be over because of injury, just for him to come back and still bowl 145+ ? And this at the current age of 36 years.

Ngidi is 23 and is already experiencing way more problems than what Ngam did - another player that was over-hyped because of obvious reasons.

Where is that same hysteria with Nortje ?

Hellbound81

Post by Hellbound81 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:30 pm

jabatito wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:46 pm
EDIT: by the way, how would you rate Chris Morris and David Miller in this list, huh? Also Bavuma there, HB?
I agree that both Morris and Miller are heavily overrated, though Morris to my surprise actually had a good World Cup under the circumstance while Miller has had several big match saving performances, but is still far from consistent enough in my view - think Michael Bevan or Michael Hussey here in the same position.

Bavuma has been really good, the work he has put in with Kallis has clearly been paying off and I would like to see how he goes against Australia and then India.

I think the South African ODI team is far less of a conundrum compared to the T20i team.

With the T20i team it is very much a situation of who is going to be left out from the following:

- de Kock,
- du Plessis,
- de Villiers,
- Bavuma,
- vd Dussen,
- R. Hendricks,
- Miller,
- Markram,
- Smuts,
- J. Malan,
- Klaasen,
- van Biljon,
- Verreynne
- G. Cloete,
- Queshile

And there is probably only space in the squad for 6 names from these.

EDIT:

Just to add, Markram and Smuts may very well compete for a 3rd allrounder position, the role Duminy use to have, and I reckon Smuts may have the inside lane for that.

Cjackson94

Post by Cjackson94 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:28 pm

Has anybody been watching the Qatar vs Uganda series?

There has been some great matches so far, both sides are climbing the t20i rankings and you can see why.

Been following Uganda cricket for a while, they have a solid batting lineup and a couple of decent bowlers. One in particular Henry Ssenyondo who is in fine form. He had an excellent year last year and was a key figure in Uganda’s challenge league for the World Cup 2023. He has been very economical without taking wickets in the first 2 games. Uganda just need to work on their fielding as there has been quite a few dropped catches in the series.

It’s my first time seeing Qatar and I must say I’m impressed. Look like a very strong and aggressive batting side. They posted over 200 in the first match.

The third t20i is live now if anybody is interested its been broadcast on YouTube live or you can follow the scorecard online. The Ugandan cricket page on Facebook has the links.

Cal
Cricket Commentator Moorlands Radio
Cricket Analyst and statistician

wolfberries

Post by wolfberries » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:21 pm

Excellent news and yes I've a soft spot for Ugandan cricket as well, let's hope they don't get shafted by corrupt officials like Zimbabwe and Kenya!

Also I like the fact Uganda are all home grown not like the ridiculous BS sides like Qatar, UAE and the USA etc

Cjackson94

Post by Cjackson94 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:26 pm

Yeah that’s the problem at the moment with African cricket. I do believe Zimbabwean cricket can turn it around though especially with the talent they have, but they do need financial support.

Not all the Ugandan players are homegrown but the majority are. Unfortunately though they will never have that financial support to grow Further. Plus the talent pool is quite small at the moment relying on player trials which is difficult considering the financial situation of the country.
Cricket Commentator Moorlands Radio
Cricket Analyst and statistician

Hellbound81

Post by Hellbound81 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:55 am

You might as well throw South Africa in there as well!

There has been heavy calls, including by all sponsors, for the CSA president and board to resign, but they are hanging on like typical tyrants.

wolfberries

Post by wolfberries » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:14 pm

Brilliant run chase by the Commonwealth XI vs South Africa.

MOD-wmchamps
MOD

Post by MOD-wmchamps » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:32 am

wolfberries wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:21 pm
Excellent news and yes I've a soft spot for Ugandan cricket as well, let's hope they don't get shafted by corrupt officials like Zimbabwe and Kenya!

Also I like the fact Uganda are all home grown not like the ridiculous BS sides like Qatar, UAE and the USA etc
Teams like Qatar, UAE, and USA are getting some local born players, but these are people whose parents are from South Asia, Caribbean, UK, or Australia/New Zealand.

In the case of the Middle Eastern countries, I just do not feel that the Arab people are going to pick up cricket as a sport since football (soccer) is so well set in these countries, and basketball and volleyball are taking over as the 2nd sport in these parts.

In the case of USA, there is a lot of potential, but there is no real grassroots effort to identify talent and promote the game.

I like the grassroots efforts of African teams, and it is good to hear of sides like Nigeria and Uganda making progress.
They can go further if they get the support they deserve I feel.
ImageNAT Manager
Image2-time NAT ODI WC winner

Hellbound81

Post by Hellbound81 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:52 am

Faf du Plessis resigned as Test and T20i captain... :shock:

This now raises the very interesting question of whether he will still be regarded for the Test series in the West Indies and the T20 World Cup...