Cricket Discussion - WC and Beyond

A place to discuss cricket, whether it be the golden duck you scored in 4th grade last weekend, or a discussion about international matches.
wolfberries

Re: Cricket Discussion - WC and Beyond

Post by wolfberries » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:20 am

dazmcspaz wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:50 pm
Such a good test... two slightly broken and flawed sides making mistakes and moments and fighting it out to the end. What could be better?
I do think that both sides can see the light at the end of the tunnel though, they both seem to have some decent prospects coming into the team.

Fingers crossed both teams will continue to improve from now on.

Hellbound81

Post by Hellbound81 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:22 am

FICA wrote:We continue to follow this issue closely and understand that discussions are taking place at various levels on this.

From our discussions with players around the world, and our global survey data, it is clear that there is currently a lot of negative sentiment, within the global collective of players, towards such a significant change to the game’s most traditional format.

Given the obvious cricketing implications, if the ICC and/or Boards do want to make a broader case for 4-day Test cricket, we would need to clearly understand what both the economic and scheduling benefits would be, so we can discuss that with players and gauge genuine collective feedback. It is particularly important for us, and the players, to understand how any additional calendar space in the playing schedule would be used. Making a fundamental change simply in order to provide calendar space to fill with additional or meaningless cricket is clearly not something we can support. Cricket’s global structure desperately needs clarity, rather than further confusion.

Until such a time as we and the players are provided with the full picture and compelling reasons for change, we remain supportive of 5-day Test cricket, and would expect significant player resistance if a shift to that is imposed on players by the ICC and/or Boards. Test cricket is a cherished format of the game and it needs player support and buy in to survive. We urge those making decisions to understand that.
Image Coastal Knights - proudly homegrown
Image Coastal Guardians - South African youth farm
Image South Africa NAT Team (Assistant: Season 36-38)
Image South Africa U19 Team (Manager: Season 32-35, Assistant: Season 38-41)

wolfberries

Post by wolfberries » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:32 am

Simple really just play less BS limited over stuff and keep 5 day Tests, all resolved now and discussion over :D

Hellbound81

Post by Hellbound81 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:42 pm

I am very curious about the costs that are relevant with the fifth day, or even the fourth day for that matter, when there is no play and see no elaboration on this excuse that is constantly flaunted.

"We want to reduce the duration of Test matches because of costs and because matches hardly ever reach the fifth day."

A lot of people involved with matches are on fulltime salaries already. Matches also utilize a lot of volunteers to help out with various responsibilities and then there are people who are paid on a case by case temporary basis based on whether there is any play.

So whether there is play or not it makes little difference to the bottomline other than that there is a loss of revenue potential, a reality that has been prevalent since long before the start of professional cricket.

jabatito

Post by jabatito » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:58 pm

wolfberries wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:32 am
Simple really just play less BS limited over stuff and keep 5 day Tests, all resolved now and discussion over :D
If any, the BS limited should be used by minnows because their current Test match level is significant lower than the so called Test Nations (well, the main ones at least). Getting more competitive nations into the game will certainly enhance the future of the game, instead of meaningless Strikers, Royals, Scorchers or whatever Daredevils' matches here and then. This is not about erasing the shorter format of the game but in my views any chance of implementing a 3rd or a 4th short format of the game is simply trying to destroy the basis of Cricket. It should be the opposite. As for the economics, I for instance, have refused to watch any T20 competition last year and anxiously waited for ongoing Test matches, I even watched Afghanistan quite frequently, which was fun to begin with. Last weeks I watched Aus vs Nz and then switched to Eng vs SA...and here I am, I am still alive and kicking
I hope they are not trying to sell me that it is the attendances the main key to shortening the game whilst it is clear that broadcasting rights rulez instead, no matter whether there is 1st, 3rd or 5th day
Jabatito's First XI
Stagnation leaders since S30

wolfberries

Post by wolfberries » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:34 am

Rabada fined for his celebration after he got Root out :lol: What ridiculous BS from the ICC to fine him for that!

Now he is banned for the next Test match due to past demerit points previously earned, yes he is a Richard but that celebration never deserved a fine!

So many snowflakes nowadays :roll:

wolfberries

Post by wolfberries » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:41 am

jabatito wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:58 pm
If any, the BS limited should be used by minnows because their current Test match level is significant lower than the so called Test Nations (well, the main ones at least). Getting more competitive nations into the game will certainly enhance the future of the game, instead of meaningless Strikers, Royals, Scorchers or whatever Daredevils' matches here and then. This is not about erasing the shorter format of the game but in my views any chance of implementing a 3rd or a 4th short format of the game is simply trying to destroy the basis of Cricket. It should be the opposite. As for the economics, I for instance, have refused to watch any T20 competition last year and anxiously waited for ongoing Test matches, I even watched Afghanistan quite frequently, which was fun to begin with. Last weeks I watched Aus vs Nz and then switched to Eng vs SA...and here I am, I am still alive and kicking
I hope they are not trying to sell me that it is the attendances the main key to shortening the game whilst it is clear that broadcasting rights rulez instead, no matter whether there is 1st, 3rd or 5th day
I pretty much agree with all of that, the ICC should have been ensuring the lesser teams like PNG, Nepal and Canada play plenty of cricket!Not just OD games though. ICC even abandoned the Intercontinental FC comp between the countries below Test standard!

The ICC seem to want to reduce cricket to no more than baseball style formats!

Hellbound81

Post by Hellbound81 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:42 am

Kagiso Rabada has been banned for the Wanderers Test after his celebration when he clean bowled Joe Root!

Even Michael Atherton thinks this is ridiculous.

Yes, the celebration was over the top and way too close to Root, but there were no words or swearing directed at Root.

In fact, Root actually walked into Rabada similar to what Rabada did with Steve Smith in 2018 during the famous sandpaper series for which he was sanctioned.

If you clean bowl Root, one of the best batsmen in the world, would you not want to celebrate like a maniac as well ?

Regardless, this now leaves South Africa with a massive problem for the final Test in the series and most likely a must win match on the best pace bowling pitch in the country.

Hellbound81

Post by Hellbound81 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:47 am

wolfberries wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:41 am
I pretty much agree with all of that, the ICC should have been ensuring the lesser teams like PNG, Nepal and Canada play plenty of cricket!Not just OD games though. ICC even abandoned the Intercontinental FC comp between the countries below Test standard!

The ICC seem to want to reduce cricket to no more than baseball style formats!
Cricinfo has a interesting video explaining the matter - http://www.espncricinfo.com/video/clip?id=28495879

Particularly the first part explains you everything what it is actually all about.

Hellbound81

Post by Hellbound81 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:21 am

I just saw Rabada's celebration after he dismissed Zak Crawley in Cape Town where he very nearly jumped into him.

How the ICC did not sanction him for that makes the ban seriously remarkable and once again highlights their inconsistency.

wolfberries

Post by wolfberries » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:04 pm

Hellbound81 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:47 am

Cricinfo has a interesting video explaining the matter - http://www.espncricinfo.com/video/clip?id=28495879
Will check that out later.

wolfberries

Post by wolfberries » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:09 pm

Buttler :roll:

Seriously he just isn't a Test match batsman!

Foakes has to be brought in but he won't be :roll:

Although I see Jennings maybe brought into the squad for the Sri Lanka tour as he is classed as quality against spin!

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... ype=series

Then I'm guessing Foakes must be a shoo-in, of course he won't be :roll:

jabatito

Post by jabatito » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:25 pm

I really liked the way England went along at Port Elisabeth these past 2 days. The "young" top order (Denly :? ) all got their starts but fell when settled. However they did not give away their wickets and here we have to stress how Sibley, Crawley and especially Denly tired out the Saffer bowlers all of which set a reasonable position for both Stokes and Pope later on (not mentioning Root here on purpose? :think )
Ben and the infalible Pope really tighten the screws on SA. One wonders when was the last time England was so dominant inching close to 500 throughout the first innings. And then despite the batting surface was fairly good just yet, they also managed the first couple of breakthroughs within the SA batting line up.
All in all, there might not be any Anderson, Burns, Archer, Bairstow, Foakes, Moeen.....but in this match, the prospects look so good, I would definitely set them in the Test squad for longer than this series.
Both Archer, Burns and a new WK are to be capped again for sure, but how about Bess, Crawley, Sibley, Pope being regulars? Also if Wood manages to be fit, Broad might have to be rested eventually. The good news is that it does not seem compulsory at all that England have to play the same sort of XI that has repeatedly failed to adjust their short format success to Test matches. Some of these new additions look quite decent to say the least in my views, and it can help squad management between short formats of the game and Tests
Jabatito's First XI
Stagnation leaders since S30

dazmcspaz

Post by dazmcspaz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:10 pm

wolfberries wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:34 am
Rabada fined for his celebration after he got Root out :lol: What ridiculous BS from the ICC to fine him for that!

Now he is banned for the next Test match due to past demerit points previously earned, yes he is a Richard but that celebration never deserved a fine!

So many snowflakes nowadays :roll:
I hate the term "snowflakes" (mostly because it quite often gets applied to me ;) ), but agree, ridiculous.

"using language, actions or gestures which disparage or which could provoke an aggressive reaction from a batter upon his or her dismissal during an international match"
That pretty much covers ANY celebration of a wicket. But gets applied to some players more often than others.

Hellbound81

Post by Hellbound81 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:37 pm

dazmcspaz wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:10 pm
That pretty much covers ANY celebration of a wicket. But gets applied to some players more often than others.
The issue here is that there was more reason to sanction Rabada in Cape Town for very nearly jumping into Crawley.

Pietersen and Holding are right though, being on three demerit points already, why is he doing anything remotely taunting ?

As you highlighted, that rule is quite broad and can be applied to very much anything.

Also, not a peep anywhere about Root touching Rabada when walking off. Does that rule now suddenly not apply anymore ?