South Africa Youth Discussion

A place for players in South Africa to communicate.
boscorp

Re: Under 19 Matters

Post by boscorp » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:59 pm

Not a good tour, sometimes the FTP gods are pretty cruel and random. A well planned side with the best tactics is sometimes rewarded whilst any weakness is punished with a loss. I'm confident we can bounce back nxt tour.
We had some great performances during the tour and should do well next tour.
I do have some views to share, its only my opinion...I could be wrong. Its easy for me to say this after the tour I know.
Our bowling performances weren't good. Considering the pitches I thought we would of used our medium pace all rounder Anthony Madden at least once. Brent Dalkin was another surprise omission, a 2nd medium may have reduced the run rate and his reliable experience would have assisted.
Leon Howard had a great tour however 4 games straight is a big ask, perhaps a different rotation of batsmen and some more experience in the tour squad.
It sounds picky but i'm hoping it opens discussion a bit more.
South Africa U19 Manager seasons 38-41.
Boscorp Cross season 14 - current

simmo014

Post by simmo014 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:41 am

I'll reply/address those points when I've got a bit more time sorry. Currently stuck on the side of the road with a boat trailer bearing that decided its had enough 😂 likely reply tomorrow once I'm home

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:59 am

No rush, There"s possibly others who may have an thought to share. we could of sent some more experienced players for the first tour and I was also surprised to see our highest paid youth reach accomplished form overlooked. Raymond Vorster and Brent Dalkin are 2 influential players that may have made a difference. There still is depth in our youth.

GM-crowfan65
CAPT

Post by GM-crowfan65 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:19 am

I am guessing that his fielding was part of the reason for leaving him out but will leave it to simmo to discuss
Master Crowfan of the Blessed Spreadsheet

GarageTM Foundation Member

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:22 am

I'm guessing its something like that too.

simmo014

Post by simmo014 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:20 pm

boscorp wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:59 pm
Not a good tour, sometimes the FTP gods are pretty cruel and random. A well planned side with the best tactics is sometimes rewarded whilst any weakness is punished with a loss. I'm confident we can bounce back nxt tour.
We had some great performances during the tour and should do well next tour.
I do have some views to share, its only my opinion...I could be wrong. Its easy for me to say this after the tour I know.
Our bowling performances weren't good. Considering the pitches I thought we would of used our medium pace all rounder Anthony Madden at least once. Brent Dalkin was another surprise omission, a 2nd medium may have reduced the run rate and his reliable experience would have assisted.
Leon Howard had a great tour however 4 games straight is a big ask, perhaps a different rotation of batsmen and some more experience in the tour squad.
It sounds picky but i'm hoping it opens discussion a bit more.
Thanks for the questions boscorp. Always happy to give an insight into our reasoning.
Madden was selected as a batsmen predominately. His summary for that week was Reliable batting and Reliable bowling. A medium with no bowling talent against Expert or Outstanding batsmen imo will go for runs (different if we had a Green pitch) and I would never bowl such a player over a faster seamer with better summary unless absolutely necessary. His batting with those 2 talents and being a leftie meant he made the cut as one of the 7 backup players for the tour. Next season will be a different story given he will likely be an Accom/Accom player against Accom or Expert players. He will be an important AR for us next season.
As a general rule I have started to steer away from Mediums if there are better seamers available. Given that all the seamers selected for the tour were equal to or better than Dalkin then for me it was an easy choice and one I'll make again for future tours. Again though if tour week pitches suit mediums then they will get selected.
Vorster was a case of being shafted by the 2 form updates between having to lock in the squad and the first match starting. His summary was Accom at the selection table but by the time the 1st ball was bowled he was Expert. Thats not something we or anyone else can predict and each tour there always seems to be a player that has been selected that goes down in summary in that time period, and conversely players on the fringe that didn't get selected that go up.
Howard was a new selection and was essentially the last batsmen picked. He beat out the other contenders due to his Accumulator talent. He played games 2,3,4 & 5 which isn't the norm. His fatigue at selection of each game was revived or rested. With any tour the 1st 3 games are basically giving all players a game and the last 2 matches are mostly dictated by who has the better fatigue will get the game. There were other batsmen at that stage who were energetic so he got the nod. I don't play a player in any tour game that is energetic fatigue or worse, unless it is the last game of the week and we have no choice in the matter.
Hope that answers some of your questions sufficiently. Thanks for your opinions :D It's good to have managers engaged in the forums and following the games during tour week

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:00 am

Thanks simmo, makes sense to me. Its not quite the way I think i'd have gone but your reasoning makes sense. That's the beauty of the game, it allows for different management choices that have their owns pros and cons. Better luck next tour.

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:04 pm

Its great when they take plenty of wickets but that hardly happens often enough and its not all about wickets. Have a look at the match ratings and fantasy points for a bit more insight. Routledge was possibly the best bowler on tour for us. He was our best bowler 1-24 in our first game, his economy won us the match. His second game he performed poorly although not much different than the other bowlers, maybe it was the weather. His 3rd game he took 4-57 and just missed MOTM. Don't be disappointed in him, he did well.

simmo014

Post by simmo014 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:15 pm

Selected 18 players for next weeks T20 tour as follows:
Batsmen
Kusano (Coastal Guardians)
Bayvel (Spartan Kings)
Boulter (The Dolphins)
Gibbs (WK) (budgewoi bulldogs)
Hammelmann (The Bandits)
Kops (Quad)
Mack (Coastal Guardians)
Pamenter (WK) (Dunder Mifflin)
Pelser (The Rampaging Rhinos)
Bowlers
Routledge (The Bandits)
Vorster (Argentina Basil)
Berger (Armstrong 13's)
Dalkin (kato11)
Frankish (St Anne's 2nd XI)
Ndlovu (The Rampaging Rhinos)
Healy (budgewoi bulldogs)
Liebenberg (Coastal Guardians)
Shezi (budgewoi bulldogs)

Congratulations to those managers with players representing us for the tour :D We have got Crumbling, Crumbling, Slow, Dry, Dry for the week

simmo014

Post by simmo014 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:05 am

Unfortunately we only have 4 spinners and 1 of those really shouldn't be touring 😩

boscorp

Post by boscorp » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:34 am

You've raised a pretty good point HB. Some feedback to the community would help. Its true, I managed the tours, HB the squad and LukeD assisted with identifying the younger talent and looking for weaknesses. Between the 3 of us we tracked the youth as they developed to try and ensure we had a variety coming through. There are many managers keen to scout a future star (even if they don't train him), yet don't know if your wanting more fast bowlers, spinners or batsmen. They may not realise how a combination of talents can create a quality player.
I'm very surprised we have no depth in spin and would love an update on the future weaknesses.
Just because we only have 4 spinners doesn't mean too much overall. it would be nice to have a 5th but it is what it is. We still carry a good amount of experience and a good tour squad.
Good luck with this tour, you might get us through.

simmo014

Post by simmo014 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:15 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post with an update on current 16yo requirements over the next few days and going forward we will post regular updates on how its tracking so SA recruiters can help fill gaps in certain weak areas as the season progresses. As far as 17yo to 19yo's I'll also give a summary of how it all looks over the next few days as well